Bald Hips

Guest charlech

Guest charlech

I know that Greyhounds that have been kept in a kennel most of their lives typically loose their fur on their hips. I've had my guy since he was 6 months old, he's not in a kennel all day but in a confined area. He sleeps most of the time in bed with us, during the day at different times he had beds to sleep on but tore them up. now he has a cot durning the day. when he's not on the cot he's in the bed or on his orthopedic bed so he gets plenty of cushion. (I have tried all kinds of beds) What is causing this hair loss or is this just what happens with greys? will it grow back?

How old is your pup now? And what is he like when he's not sleeping? Does he have good energy for walks of any distance? It would help to know more about him. Some greyhounds who are hypothyroid have bald thighs. Some say some greyhounds are just like that. So what else can you tell us about how he has been since you've had him?

ETA: I looked up your old threads and it sounds like he's about 2 now? So hopefully folks more experienced than I with 2-year-old greyhounds will jump in and offer some thoughts here.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest KsFrets

Magnus had a bald butt and thighs. We started giving him 3 mg of over the counter Melatonin (Walgreens vitiman department) a day. We powder a half a tab on hs food every meal. In about a month he started getting peach fuzz, and real hair in about three months. now a year later and he has nice thick fur on his butt and thighs and even his belly and inner legs all filled in.

Edited by KsFrets

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Its a big misconception that greyhounds are kept in kennels most of their lives, laying around in a kennel doesnt develop muscles but anyways.... Some greyhounds are prone to hair loss on certian parts of their bodies some times it thier thyroid some times its genetics, i would suggest having some blood work done to make sure there are no health issues. I have had my youngest Greyhound since she was 3 months old (she is now 2 years old) and she is pretty naked in some places (thighs, chest and the front of her neck). you can try adding fish oils or flax to your hound diet it does help promote hair growth there are many differnt trick to try everyone has their own prefference.

A great book to pick up that help you understand different greyhound issues and illness and many other health related things is "care of the racing and retired Greyhound" by Linda L Blythe

Good luck

Guest twogreytkids

If your boy did have fur and now it seems that he is losing it, I'd have his thyroid checked.

That's what happened to one of my boys. The thyroid meds resulted in all his fur growing back.

Marcy

Bald thighs in greyhounds are unrelated to thyroid activity -- people have actually studied this, more than once.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest charlech

Yes, he is 2 years old he has very thin fur to begin with. He is very active we are in agility and practice and walk weather permitting. He loves to play when sitting around the house he either sits in his favorite leather chair which I have covered with a slip cover (I'm wondering if he is allergic, because once I purchased him a bed that had cedar on one side and he got a bad rash, as soon as I got rid of it his rash cleared up)

Edited by charlech

Guest charlech

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I did run these past my vet and he said all are good ideas the Melatonin 1 milligram once a day would be good (he's seen better result in English Bull dogs with this one). He suggested Northern Atlantic Cod Fish Oil 500-600 milligrams 1 time a day, and Flax or Rose Mary oil (Flax is more economical). He said it may take about 3 months to see results. I asked which he suggested I should try first and he said I can do all three, it will not hurt him.

One more thing he did mention having his thyroid checked if this does not work. I'll have to do a little more research on this one.

My Anna is 10.5 and is bald as a cue ball and has been right from the track. Her former owners had her thyroid tested, had her on thyroid medication for a while with no improvement. (Bald thigh/butt syndrome is not related to thyroid.)

My Suze had bald thighs when she and her sister Fuzz adopted us and most of it grew back. During the summer (9 months of the year here is FL), her thigh hair will thin out and she will develop a narrow bald strip down the back of the thigh. During the winter, it fills in.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Some greys have bald thighs and prove to be hypothyroid, and some don't. No matter what a study or studies have shown about greyhounds in general, we still have to evaluate and care for our individual dogs. Individual dogs may not match the results of the study. Our Spencer had bald thighs which then grew much more hair when his hypothyroid condition was diagnosed and treated, as was Marcy's experience in the post above. Our Shane was diagnosed hypothyroid but had no hair problem. So there ya go. In any case, I hope the melatonin works for you! It's simpler!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).