Staghound From Minnesota

Guest Servicedog

• 3 years later...

I also have a rescue out of Pine City. "Jackie Onassis" and her two brothers (one still available) were brought down to foster care thru Carver Scott Humane Society when there mom was killed by a car when they were 4 weeks old. She is supposed to be Scottish Deerhound and Borzoi (Russian wolfhound) I think there may be some greyhound in there too. She is almost months old now, and still growing like a weed.

Guest sireltonsmom

Our staghound is Wuzho, aka The Woot. He's very similar in temperament to the greyhounds and most other sighthounds. A lot less of a hunting/chase drive which is ironic because he came off a staghound breeding farm that was breeding for hunting. Just like the racers, I guess they aren't all good at what they're bred for :lol Staghounds typically come from staghound breeding stock...staghound-to-staghound breedings have been going on for a couple hundred years, just no recognized studbook. A longdog would be a cross of multiple sighthounds and, technically, a staghound is a type of longdog.

A sighthound of any type would probably be one of the last breeds I would pick as a service dog....not sure there are many on the forum but I have heard of a few greys over the years. Staghounds and longdogs in general aren't very common outside of rural/hunting areas so I've not heard of one in the US being used as a service dog. Entirely possible though.

Here's our staghound...

4696521414_a8b603136a_o.jpg

2284026891_ce7eab983d_o.jpg

4695888129_7666447444_o.jpg

2607874245_fb4ff8e8bb_o.jpg

just........Wow!! wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

Hi, just thought I'd chime in here - I work with a group who does prison training with greyhounds (my Beau is a graduate). These greyhounds are often placed as service dogs. They go from us to Hounds for Heros in Tampa, FL who further train them as service dogs for PTSD vets. The inmates train them basic commands and a few specialized ones for the future owner. A good news story is one vet turned his greyhound back to be used for another vet - he healed sufficiently to be that independent. One I know is working as a deaf person's dog, several with autistic adults, one is a dog who stays in a psychiatrists office as a calming effect for clients. This is all very exciting to me as it opens up a whole new life for greyhounds and more can be saved and trained. Thought you'd enjoy knowing this.

Very cool, sireltonsmom!! I LOVE hearing about the prison programs - and didn't know that some went on to be service dogs!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Love this thread! Welcome to GT and I love seeing all of the pictures of staghounds! They are on our wish list of dog breeds for once we have more space :)

GT_signature4_zpsfaaf7821.jpg

Padfoot the greyhound fr. Coach Venom, Joined his forever family: 10-1-13

Lupin the galgo, Joined his forever family: 7-18-14
And the reptiles: Bernie the Bearded Dragon and Tonks the Russian Tortoise