Cow Hoof "au Naturel" Safe?

We live in a rural area and were walking across old cow pastures. Of course, Tracker has to find the ONE cow hoof casing--meaning one of a pair--(shed one day by a cow--how on earth did she walk home??) on the huge expanse of land. "Leave it" isn't exactly well established yet, so I decided, since he couldn't chew on it because it was too big, that there wasn't any immediate danger. I let him carry his prized possession for 20 minutes in his mouth all the way home, where I figured it would be easy to trade. And it was. So I threw it out. But he was so proud, and all that work... Could he have eaten it safely? It looked a bit sharp around the top edge. But I heard it said that raw bone doesn't splinter and is therefore safe?

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I haven't given out cow hooves in a long time but I use to hand them out in the kennels and never had a problem.

Also Horse hooves after the farrier came by to trim the horses hooves were always a prized treat.

I don't think hooves count as raw bones, and hooves are verrry very hard. They can crack teeth, so supervision is a must. I read that vets consider hooves rocks, basically. That being said, I never had a problem, but mine usually get bored with them after a while anyway :rolleyes:.

Tractor Supply sells "FRONTIER BRAND MOO SHOES DOG CHEW"

http://www.tractorsu...og-chew-1130832

These are more than just the pair of the hooves; it includes the very end of the foot itself.

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

Heck they sell cow hooves at pet supply stores. Many ppl will tell you that cow hooves are bad because the dogs can crack teeth on them. However I've given them to my dogs in the past as a recreational chew and never had this issue.

It's also true that I could slip and fall after an ice storm while checking my mail, but I won't stop doing it just because something 'could' happen.

I would let my dogs have the hooves although since they are 'farm fresh' I would recommend sanitizing them in some way first.

Guest ChasesMum

we had to stop giving them because even the clean ones from the pet store made our house smell like a farmyard, but they were definitley enjoyed by the dogs!

I don't think I would have let that one be a chew toy, but carrying it aroundn so long...SO CUTE! :wub: scritches to Tracker!

Guest GreyFan09

Comet loves the cow hooves we get at the pet shop. I fill them with kibble and peanut butter then freeze them. He gets one as a treat when he goes into is crate. I replace them after he chews on them for a few weeks as they do start to stink. These were the key to him getting over his initial SA just after we got him.

Guest jettcricket

They do STINK but I let my dogs chew them now and then, then I throw the hooves out.

You got that right....I threw them out cause I couldn't handle the smell. :sick

Edited by jettcricket