Lump In Neck

Guest freddysmom

Guest freddysmom

Hi - been awhile since I've been on Greytalk, but I need advice. My greyhound, Freddy, has bad gingivitis and we have been systematically having his teeth pulled when having dental. Before his last dental, about a month ago, we noticed a lump on his neck. The vet thought it was an infected gland and would clear up when the dental was done. I had him on antibiotics for 3 weeks and it did not get any smaller. We stopped the antibiotics to see what would happen. He's been off antibiotics for a week and a half and the lump is getting larger. the vet took some cells and sent them in to be read. We don't have results yet. Do any of you have any expertise with this? Is this an area where Grey's tend to get cancer? Thanks for your suggestions.

Exactly where is the lump? Tinsel had a lump on her throat that turned out to be a thyroid tumor, but without knowing where your dog's lump is, it's hard to say.....it could be anything.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest cyndiandsaoirse

My 12yo Saoirse has developed a thyroid tumor- just popped up in October out of the blue. It looks like she has a big adam's apple, it's right in the middle of her throat. I don't know that there's any connection to the teeth. Saoirse had bad teeth from the track, and has lost a few over the years, but I think this is not related.

On the up side, my vet said (and others on board have concurred) that until the tumor gets large enough to interfere with swallowing/breathing, she will not feel any discomfort. This seems to be true, she is her silly old self. She lets me check it out, move it around. I keep measuring it with my fingers to see if it's growing- so far, it hasn't. So, we're just monitoring her and hoping it is very slow.

Good luck- our thoughts are with you!

Guest freddysmom

Good news for Freddy! Lump is inflammation from his gum disease, no odd cells at all. Can be treated with anti-inflammatory!

update - no disease, no cancer - inflammation from dental disease can be treated with anti-inflammatory!!!

Hi - been awhile since I've been on Greytalk, but I need advice. My greyhound, Freddy, has bad gingivitis and we have been systematically having his teeth pulled when having dental. Before his last dental, about a month ago, we noticed a lump on his neck. The vet thought it was an infected gland and would clear up when the dental was done. I had him on antibiotics for 3 weeks and it did not get any smaller. We stopped the antibiotics to see what would happen. He's been off antibiotics for a week and a half and the lump is getting larger. the vet took some cells and sent them in to be read. We don't have results yet. Do any of you have any expertise with this? Is this an area where Grey's tend to get cancer? Thanks for your suggestions.

Good news for Freddy! Lump is inflammation from his gum disease, no odd cells at all. Can be treated with anti-inflammatory!

update - no disease, no cancer - inflammation from dental disease can be treated with anti-inflammatory!!!

Missed the first post, and am so relieved to see this Anne Marie. Give Freddie a hug for me.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Great to hear!

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound