Teaching Some Tricks

I'm sure there are other posts out there about this, but as you all know, the search feature is kinda difficult. Anyway, my husband taught Max "down" the first week we had him, and he learned it well, does famously with it. I want to teach him "paw" which I mean to use for shake. He doesn't seem to get it, I grab his paw after saying "paw" and shake it and give him a treat, but he won't give me the paw. Any ideas?

:):)

Guest FijiHound

Maybe some more repetition??? That's what I did to teach my german shepherd x how to shake...cept now when she wants something she thinks sticking her paw out at you will get it :colgate

Guest SpicyMom

Amen. Be careful what you teach them - it can backfire! I taught them to sit before I would give them my attention (or a treat) so now, when Spice wants ANYTHING, she plops down in front of me and does a perfect sit until I do what she wants! If I'm on the bed, that translates into jump on the bed and do a perfect sit...on me! I also taught her "paw" but she never really got it on demand. However, she now uses her paw on me as well to EMPHASIZE that I should pay attention (in case the beautiful sit or the 75lbs on my stomach didn't work)...

Guest KsFrets

All three of ours can sit/shake/down and Maggie can speak too. It doesn't happen over night. It takes weeks and hundreds of repititions. When it clicks... as mentioned... they have a new tool with which to manipulate you with... :)

Guest zombrie

All three of ours can sit/shake/down and Maggie can speak too. It doesn't happen over night. It takes weeks and hundreds of repititions. When it clicks... as mentioned... they have a new tool with which to manipulate you with... :)

This! Patience is key :P

Guest mirinaaronsmom

With Aaron, I would say 'foot' whenever I was wiping them off (when coming in from outside and his paws were wet or snowy). After he figured that out, when he was sitting, I would say 'foot' and he lifted it up. Then I would say 'the other one' and he'd lift that one. His one and only trick.

Phyllis and Miriam and foster Manny (and Aaron, gone but still loved)

Guest auforygirl

Pretty Girl does Paw Other paw and Both Paws... How I did this was that I would put her into a sit and hold the treat in my hand. She was trying to figure out how to get the treat and would first lick it and then paw at it. I would click and treat. First I did it for either paw but then I just wanted the her left first so I wouldn't click and treat for the right... till I got the left said Paw. Then I would say other paw and I would actually switch my hand too so she was able to get it. then after a while I did both paws... for this I had the right and just tap my arm for her to put her other paw up there click and treat. So it always goes paw, other paw, both paws... she often tries to skip the paw other paw and go directly for the one that gives her the treat but I say oops and stand up and turn around for a few seconds till she get less excited and try again.