Vibrating Head, Neck And Shoulders

Guest fandogs

Guest fandogs

Snip has an issue that we can't seem to solve.

At several times during the day (and evening) when she asks for "pets", or even when she is lying down on her bed, I can feel deep tremors(like vibrations) through her head, neck, and shoulders. Sometimes it's so strong, her teeth chatter. But it's not like the chattering of "I'm so happy to see you". It's also not "I'm cold".

I was wondering if anyone has had similar occurrence?

When she starts this vibrating, her neck gets kind of stiff. Dr thought it was arthritic in nature and put her on Tramaqual(briefly) and Dasaquin. It doesn't seem to be anything like a minor seizure, though that hasn't been ruled out. But no other symptoms.

She is active and likes to play, zooms with her roommate. She is picky but eating ok and she is 9 1/2 YO. All body functions seem normal.

Blood work was done, all findings normal.

It's a little scary, and distracting. The tremors last anywhere from 30 secs to a minute or more. And they seem to only stop by themselves. There is nothing I can do to reduce them or stop them.

Guest borzoix4

Hmm.. Only seen that one time, and the results we had were hard to find, It was low potassium levels and low magnesium, and since it comes and goes, unless the blood work is done at the occurance, it was hard to find.

Now our vet finally found it by a fast of 12 hours with no food but allowed water, then did the blood work. Since magnesium is a mineral, we added a simple vitamin ( Missing Link), and also for the potassium we just gave a little bit of banana several times a day. Sounds silly- but it worked,

You will notice this shows up more so if its been several hours after eating or exercise ie exurction of the muscles during play.

Our Tish does this every once in a while. It last about 15 seconds and the top of her head pulsates, her teeth chatter (but like you said it is not like an excited chatter), and she crys out in pain. When she retired last December and came to us as a foster (yes we failed fostering)her tongue was torn on the side so the vet trimmed it up when he cleaned her teeth. We think she must have had a head injury while racing. I log when she has these episodes and there doesn't seem to be anything specific that triggers them.

Not to dismiss any possibility of something medical going on, the vibrating thing can just be affection/enjoyment, especially if it happens when she's getting petted or asking for pets.

Sid is the 'best' vibrating dog I've had, and most of the others have done it to some degree (usually accompanied by chattering). When Sid is getting pets, he can be just as you describe. Stiff head and neck (which he often holds in an odd position, extended forward, upward and sideways all at the same time), head, neck and shoulders all vibrate strongly, and if he's lying down, sometimes his front legs too! :lol I'll try to get some video next time he does it, but he's a little camera shy, in case the flash is on (he hates that). I must admit I haven't timed it, but Sid's vibrations don't usually last quite so long .. although maybe you should time Snip's, because it's often very hard to judge length of time with these things.

The only thing I can suggest is that you try to make it 'worse' by increasing the excitement factor of the petting - wave your arms a bit more, add some high pitched 'whoseagooddogthen' type stuff. If the vibrations get worse and she gets wigglier, it's most likely simply enjoyment. :)

Can I ask how old Snip is, and how long you've had her?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest fandogs

Snip is nine and a half. She's been with me for 2 years. And her birth and growing up years were spent on our farm, except briefly when she trained and raced.

Only recently has she started this vibrating.. although it also happened for a brief period of time last year, then went away.

Would love to think it's "happiness" but really don't, cause she has settled in here and not much has changed.

Does it look like this? Chloe has been having head tremors since the age of 2 when we adopted her. She happens to be hypothryroid which may or may not be the common denominator.

th_MVI_1977.jpg

th_MVI_1978.jpg

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Robin, you really can't see it, like in your video. When she vibrates, you can only feel it.

hummm. What Chloe has is head tremors. The ONLY thing that stops it is if we give her a cookie. It's not her blood sugar. She responds too quickly. It's the action of taking and chewing the cookie that ends it. It's weird and definitely neurological. We just keep our eye on things.

Hope whatever is going on for your pup is nothing serious.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest fandogs

Thanks for the good wishes. I also hope it's nothing more than a bit of neurological old age creeping in.

If she weren't eating, playing, or talking, I would worry more. I might try the magnesium and potassium and see if that makes a difference.

Will also see if giving her a treat to chew, stops the tremor.

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly had something similar when he was put on Prednisone for his IBD. His neck would twist and his jaw/head would vibrate. They were not head tremors like RobinM's Chloe has. Our vet thought it might be focal seizures, but I (and a friend who was a nurse) suspected it was a potassium deficiency because the pred was making him drink/pee so much and flushing electrolytes out of his body. If you look at medical info for people on pred it says you may need to supplement potassium for this very reason. We found bananas and doggy pedialyte stopped them which further confirmed my suspicions. And now we're tapering the pred off and his peeing's settled down, he doesn't seem to get the tremors any more. Is your girl on any meds, or peeing more for any reason?

Edited by Stripeyfan