Need Med Advice Quickly!

Guest Puddyrun

Guest Puddyrun

My older grey,that I posted about Deramaxx yesterday,appears to have been bitten on the foot. I took him out for potty this morning and he jerked his foot up. He started limping and licking. I'm not seeing swelling but it's getting worse. I gave him his 50mg Tramadol and 375 clavamox this morning. 75 mg deramaxx last night. Can I give him benadryl on top of all that?

That's a lot of meds to combine--I'd give your vet a call and see what she thinks.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Puddyrun

Yes,it's a lot of meds. He's trying to rest but his foot keeps twitching a little. I guess I'll just watch him closely and call as soon as they open. He is not panting or licking now so hopefully the worst is over.

Edited by Puddyrun

Guest Energy11

I would say yes, to about 50 mg of Benedryl at this point. I have given benedryl with Deramaxx before. The only contraindication MIGHT be the Tramadol. The Clavamox won't matter.

Sounds like maybe an ant bite or small bee sting. OF course, I'd call the vet, as well, just to be sure.

Good Luck!

Edited by Energy11

Guest alf7199

If he would let you, I would also try a cold pack to help "numb" the pain a little and maybe help prevent any swelling. My boy got bit by a yellowjacket the other day. He isn't on any other meds so he got 2 rounds of Benedryl and an ice pack for 10 mins on, 10 off for an hour. No swelling but he was favoring the leg for a bit.

Guest Puddyrun

Thanks for the replies. I called the vet's office and they said some benedryl would be okay. He's much better now and actually walked around for a few minutes. I'm really glad to have found GT as everyone has been helpful and I know ya'll are MUCH more knowledgeable than I am!