Vaccinations At Petco

Guest ctgreylover

I keep copies in my glove box and have since adopting my first hound.

Also keep a copy of the greyhound anesthesia protocol in there as well.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest ctgreylover

So - we went to the clinic.... The shots are administered by a Vet with a vet tech with her. They had soooo many ankle biters there! There was one dog that that Tony seemed to be stressed out by. Dog was nervous and had a high pitch whine but did noting bad. There was a black chi/rat terrier that stayed in his mom's arms because he is dog aggressive. He was fine unless he looked at a dog!! lol Tony did sense something was up. As we got closer to the room, he started to shiver and had his tail between his legs but when we went in the room, he was fantastic. They sell several shots packages. I brought a copy from the vet that showed what shots he had and when they were due so they knew what he needed and DIDN'T need/want. AND they understood that an 8 year old Greyhound was not about to experiment with new stuff and didn't try to sell me more! I liked that they got greyhounds and seniors. no high pressure sales at all. Very professional. Tony got a bully stick after as a reward for being well behaved.

I keep copies in my glove box and have since adopting my first hound.

Also keep a copy of the greyhound anesthesia protocol in there as well.

what a great idea... when an emergency arises, its good to give the E vet!

Guest Swifthounds

I guess if cost is a factor for you then do it but the wellness exam they get with vaccines is almost more important than the vaccine itself.

:nod:nod Anyone can give a vaccine it's the exam that's important. Petco will not pick up the ear infection, the pannus, the weight gain/loss, the heart murmur, the lumps or bumps, palpate the abdomen, routine blood work, check lymph nodes...... I think you see my point.

To some extent that might be true, but the vets at the Petco I've used did listen to the heart, look in the ears, eyes, check lymph nodes (at least the ones from the neck up), and check teeth. Honestly, I've seen a lot of vets do exams in my time and the LuvMyPet vet at Petco did an exam on par with any of them.

All of the above things are important to catch, however, I'm a firm believer that most of those can be caught by an owner long before the dog makes it into the vet. It's amazing how much more you see when you educate yourself and look for these things. I don't see the value in finding out the issue once the dog has had it for 9 months or a year.

The best exam I've seen was done by the specialty vet near me, but that's only by referral or as an "emergency." I usually skip the referral and pay the e vet fee. They do a stellar exam, listen to my opinions, answer all my questions, and don't have an issue with my raw feeding (because they're not blind - they can see the improvements), minimal vaccine protocol, and will draw and spin blood to be sent to Protatek or Hemopet at no charge.