Trying To Put Weight Back On

Guest cwholsin

Guest KennelMom

I skimmed, so pardon any repeats....

10lbs is a lot of weight to lose after retiring, but I've seen dogs come out of kennels kinda heavy, so it might not be unheard of for a dog to lose 10lbs after getting neutered and lead an active pet life and still be perfectly fine and healthy. Esp a young dog. Most of the pet greyhounds I see are kept on the heavy side anyway. We have a couple dogs that are hard gainers on kibble. Even grain free, higher protein kibble. On raw they'll fatten right up though. :rolleyes: For some dogs, it's about food quality. In the racing kennel, their kibble would have been supplemented with raw meat and assorted other stuff. Have you tried adding some meat to his diet? Doesn't have to be expensive stuff....ground beef on sale should work fine.

I wouldn't mess with another fecal (though probably too late for that advice). I'd just worm with drontal plus and be done with it. Fecals are shots in the dark, at best.

I'd get a good blood panel done and see what that has to say.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest cwholsin

Okay! Heard back from the vet, and there's nothing alarming in any of his three tests.

Fecal was clean (we may worm him anyway, like you suggested--just to be sure), and his urine is good--no infections, good concentration and his bloodwork came back clean with slightly elevated creatinine values. The vet did say that because his urine concentration was good, he's not concerned about the elevated creatinine since greyhounds can be high in that anyway.

So no evident medical issues, we just need to keep feeding. might try adding in some hamburger/rice with his meals for a while and see how he does! His weight seems to have stabilized and the 1 pound GAIN this time is encouraging. As the vet said, "just keep the food coming" lol.gif Guess Hermes is going to get to pig out for a while!

Went and found Hermes' picture from your intro thread, and he's a handsome, well-built dog there. I'd never call him fat!

IMG_2814.jpg

Good luck with the fattening, and I'm sure Hermes will enjoy being a pig for a while!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Swifthounds

Went and found Hermes' picture from your intro thread, and he's a handsome, well-built dog there. I'd never call him fat!

IMG_2814.jpg

Good luck with the fattening, and I'm sure Hermes will enjoy being a pig for a while!

I'd say he looks quite fit there (as well as very handsome!).

He sure is handsome! :) And I agree with Beth's mom...he doesn't look underweight to me, either!

Enjoy your extra food, Hermes!

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest cwholsin

That picture was from when we first got him (Awwwwws!) He doesn't look -too- much different now, less muscle and a bit more rib showing. I'd be happy to get him back up to the condition he was in, so we've probably got 5 lbs or so to put back on. It's eerie to look at the numbers and look at the dog because it makes you think "Where did he lose it from???"

Guest cwholsin

Here's a picture of him from a week ago with his head i his toy box!

IMG_3162.JPG

Not the greatest example, but his bones are showing a bit more than they used to.

Here's a picture of him from a week ago with his head i his toy box!

IMG_3162.JPG

Not the greatest example, but his bones are showing a bit more than they used to.

Yep, I can see what you're talking about in that pic. Hermes, you're in the 'extra calorie club' with Robin right now. Enjoy it while you can sweetie!! :kiss2

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France