Howdy

Guest AmberAllly

Guest AmberAllly

Hi My name is Amber I am 23 from Arkansas. I am thinking of Adopting a retired Greyhound for a compaion. Shes White 2 yrs old. I just wanna know what all intells with being a GH owner?...I have a lot land for her to run A HUGE pillow in the laundry room for her to sleep an d a raised food&water dishes....Would love to hear any advice

Amber from Arkansas

This is Ally>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ballys%20Allie1_picnik.jpg

Welcome to GreyTalk anyway! Amber was beautiful, but I'm sure you'll find another beautiful wonderful grey soon!

I think if you spend some time looking around this site you'll learn more than you ever dreamed about what it's like to be a greyhound owner (just bear in mind the caveat that applies to all online forums when reading sections like Health and Medical or Training and Behavior -- it's people who are having problems who tend to be the ones who post; it doesn't mean that those problems are happening to everyone). It might be easier for people to give you advice if you could ask a couple of particular things you're wondering about.

Oh, one thing -- greyhounds are going to want to be where you are, not separated in a laundry room. So you probably would want comfy dog beds in the main rooms where you spend time. Of course the greyhound may well end up preferring your bed or the couch most of the time. Generally you also want a crate to start off (typically 48" long) -- not all greys do well in crates but many do, it's what they're used to, and for many people it really helps in getting them acclimated. Whatever adoption group you work with will guide you in this.

Key books to read: Livingood, "Retired Greyhounds for Dummies" and/or Branigan, "Adopting the Racing Greyhound." The first has more detailed information, but the second I personally found more readable and it was what made me feel (as someone who'd never even had a dog before) "Yes, I can do this."

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest shortGHgal

Hi....this is Amber. I forgot my paassword for AmberAllly.....sorry. No our land is not fenced but I perfer to walk the dog on leash. And nobody lives around I watched sum yooutube and ppl let their greys off leash to run. What can I expect from a retired grey? I notice they are not hyper or anything but they do like to have a play time...lol. I dont weather to get a female or male. What is the best food?? Can short/minor-handicapped ppl handle these guys? How can I cantrol blot or prevent it? Thanks guys for ur time & advice!!

Amber from Arkansas

Guest AmazinGreyz

Oh dear.

I have always walked on leash, as do many others. It really is a great way to bond with your dog, give him/her their exercise, and gets you out and about too. The down side to that routine is doing it 365 days a year, between 5:00-5:30 each morning (or whenever your routine tells you) rain, snow, cold, heat.. it doesn't matter. Hitch up your leash/harness, and let's get cracking!

If I could caution on anything it would be to never ever let your baby off leash unless it's in a securely fenced area. These guys are so fast and are hardwired to chase small furry things. Despite your best intentions, you could have a grey (or any sighthound) bolt after prey and, because of their speed, be out of earshot and lost in seconds.

I've been blessed to have a whippet and my greyhound. They are truly gifts I treasure. PrarieProf is right. these dogs tend to want to be close. They're gently loving creatures who will give more than you'll ever be able to imagine or believe.

Welcome!

If I could caution on anything it would be to never ever let your baby off leash unless it's in a securely fenced area. These guys are so fast and are hardwired to chase small furry things. Despite your best intentions, you could have a grey (or any sighthound) bolt after prey and, because of their speed, be out of earshot and lost in seconds.

Not trying to be a downer or anything, but that is why I asked about fencing. AmazinGreyz is absolutely right. Never let your grey out without a leash unless your land is fenced.

Perhaps if you read the Greyhound Amber Alert and see how many missing greys are either found dead or never found.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

I hate to be blunt, but I get the impression that you have not done much research, Amber. I really hate to be like that, but I think you need to read up, and consider whether Greyhounds are really right for you. Simply falling in love with an individual, or wanting to rescue racers from their "plight" are not good reasons. Yes, Greyhounds are dogs first, but they do have some unique needs that not all dogs have.

Please read the two "bibles" of Greyhound adoption: Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Branigan and Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies by Lee Livingood (not calling you a dummy, by the way). They will give you a LOT of information about what these dogs are like, how they are to live with, precautions to take, etc.

Not fencing a sighthound is a bad idea. It's asking for trouble, if you ask me. Yes, there are those who do it, but it requires a TON of training, and a rock-solid, unshakable recall, and that is VERY difficult to train, considering that sighthounds are so apt to chase anything moving. That includes leaves blowing in the wind, not just animals.

So please, do yourself a favor, and make sure this is what you want. I am NOT trying to discourage you from adopting one of these wonderful dogs. But I want to make sure you do it for the right reasons, and with the dog's best interests in mind.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Its great that you would like to adopt a greyhound but i would VERY strongly suggest you do a lot more reading about the breed. Sighthounds are bred to be independent hunters and when they "sight" something they go for it and most of the time they will not hear you call them, they can be close to top speed in less than 5 strides.

the videos you may have seen are most likely from people who have done some intense training with their hound and have had many years to work on training and bond... also a lot of the time there is a fence that you cannot see in the video.

PrarieProf is right Greyhounds are VERY people oriented and are happiest when with their people so keeping the dog in the laundry room may not be the best choice. if you are looking for a dog to be able to run loose and that will be more likely to come back i would suggest a retriever type breed. Greyhounds also dont do well in cold, heavy rain, and snow/cold weather and overly hot weather so be prepared to have to work your walking schedule around these things ( for example walking earlier/later in the day, getting a jacket for your dog).

here is a great link to common greyhound health questions link, link 2

Once again please do a lot more research before making your final decision.

Guest shortGHgal

Hi this is AmberAllly. I forgot my other name so I had to rergister. I have done a lot more research & I am still in love with breed. I did plan on making the dog sleep u misunstood me. I was only using it as a kennel while we out or something I asure that dog wiuld a part the family!! The dog would be on a leash at all not to worry I walk a lot outside in the afternoons around so I am hoping that is good enough excersize for them. I like to spend an hour or two just walking the yard & property. I hope to read more books on them & learn from you owners as well! Thanks for the advice & please keep comin with more!

Guest AmazinGreyz

You're on the right track. I first got introduced to the joys of sighthounds when I adopted my whippet seven years ago. Lots of research, lots of learning and lots of thinking goes into the decision, but the payback is the ton of love and joy you get from these magical, special creatures.