Immodium

Guest Tes623

William's got diarrhea and it seems to hit him the worse in the middle of the night. During the day after breakfast he will go out a couple of times and then spends most of his day napping on the sofa and not moving too much. In the evening after his dinner he goes out a couple of times and then naps. When we go to bed at night he sleeps on the bed with us and usually about midnight he starts asking to go out usually about every hour, sometimes every half hour. Last night he had two accidents in the house on the way to the back door because he couldn't hold it. We started him on Immodium in the morning and with his dinner (one tablet with each meal) and I'm wondering if I can also give him one before he goes to bed at night to kind of help him through the night. He's 13 and we've been battling loose stools for a while now but now it's full blown diarrhea.

The age-old RAB diet that is used with children... work with dogs, too! Rice Apples Bananas. These help with the loose stools. Other people call it the ABC diet, which I believe is Applesauce Bananas (Rice)Cereal.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest mbfilby

If this has been going on for awhile, you should start looking at his diet. Also add plain yogurt or canned pumpkin. Have you seen the vet with samples?

For the immodium, you should be OK giving at night, but this should be for control only, you need to figure out why he is loose.

We've been adding the pumpkin, rice and yogurt to each meal. The vet thought it was because we had changed his food. They were getting Eukenuba Lamb & Rice and have been eating that for years and doing well on it. When the price jumped to $60 per bag, we bought the Kirklands Lamb & Rice and were mixing the two together to stretch it further. We switched William back to strictly eating the Eureknuba about a week ago in hopes that it would help.

Guest Sunset123

When I have to use it I'll just use 1 tab or half a tab in a 12 hour period. I only use it if she has acute (not chronic) explosive diarrhea and I can't be around to take her outside when she needs to go.

Of course, just as with kids, you have to make sure to keep the dog hydrated. I give Arrisa Pedialyte or Pedialyte mixed with water. She LOVES it.

If he has an upset stomach daily, though, you might want to stop feeding him the kibble until it clears up. You can make a bland meal from white rice, boiled chicken, and green beans. If the pumpkin doesn't seem to be helping, stop using it. The funny thing about pumpkin is that while it can help with soft stools, it can also MAKE soft stools. It's not a diarrhea cure.

Edited by Sunset123

When one of our dogs was getting us up four times a night to go out, it turned out to be an intestinal infection, a bacterial overgrowth. We wasted a lot of time on beet pulp, pumpkin, and sweet potato before finding that out. And if it is an infection, you don't want to use a med to slow down the elimination. How long has this been happening?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).