Corns Surgically Removed

Guest LHibner

Guest Adrianne

just so i understand...you just cut a piece of duct tape and cover the corn? nothing else.. i read something about bag balm..

Yes. Change it every day or two or more often if your houndie pulls it off. Use only as big a piece as necessary; you want to cover the corn but not the whole pad. For Chevy, the tape helped pull the corn up. I used Bag Balm every couple of days to soften the pad and on the day I got the corn out. I did separate the corn from the paw pad with a straight edge scalpel the day I got it out, but the tape really did make a difference for Chevy.

I also had great success having corns removed surgically. We had 3 feet done at the same time which made recovery a little bit harder but, once the bandages came off there was no looking back-- corns never returned. The surgery was not performed with laser although given a chance now that's the route I would take.

Our vet told me that of all the things people have tried, people tend to report better luck with the duct tape than with anything else. And she sees A LOT of greyhounds.

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest TeddysMom

I have been watching the corn threads since Jiro arrived with his problem feet. I have been using the duck tape but have noticed that several people rub bag balm or other cream on their pups feet. The duck tape doesn't stick over the cream so do you just leave the tape off until the cream soaks in? I found a emu oil salve at the health food store for softening corns and have been trying to rub this into Jiro's pads at night then using the tape during the day.

Guest BlueCrab

I am one of the duct tape converts. It really does work and there's no real trick to it or difficult instructions.

We spent about 4 months with a progressively worse and worse limp on Trixie's right front. Hulled the corn at a greyhound speciallist vet, dremmelled ourselves regularly, treated every night with Kerasolv and socks preceeded by an epsom salt soak. Plus we bought therapaws and x-rayed when I couldn't control my panic any longer. All for naught. The vet said we'd have to operate on the pad to see if there was a foreign body. I did NOT want to do that. So I tried duct tape.

Cut a 1" piece and stick it to your fridge. Every couple days, take a pair of scissors and cut off a square perhaps 1cm x 1 cm. Stick it over the corn. Don't put anything else on there - no salves, no creams, nuthin. Leave the tape on for a couple days, checking daily for wear. As it wears it will curl up around the edges. When it gets too curled up or has come off due to rain or damp grass, cut another piece off your fridge door and repeat. We did this starting around Sept 2. By Sept 18th or so the corn could be worked out by prying with my fingernail. We continued to use Therapaws due to her sensitivity and lameness esp on hard surfaces By the 18th or so, the lameness had almost disappeared. In late September the corn pulled out when I removed a piece of duct tape. We stopped using it altogether. I have no idea if it would prevent them from occurring in the first place.

The right foot corn has not come back. In the last couple days her left front corn has started causing a mild limp, so I started up with duct tape two days ago (11/21). It was looking pretty raggedy this morning and tonight's rainy here, so I'll put a new piece on tonight.

Try duct tape. You can purchase it at any hardware store, Harbor Freight, probably Tractor Supply. There's no set brand. It comes in a bunch of colors. The really cheap stuff tends actually to be stickier and really sticks to itself to an annoying degree, so cost should not a factor. Regardless, it's cheaper than surgery so even if you try it and it doesn't work for you then you've only lost a couple weeks and a tiny bit of money on something you can use around the house anyway.

Edited by BlueCrab