Surgical Question

Guest SusanP

My Zippy is having a broken tooth pulled (as I type). I'm grateful that this vet doesn't have a problem with my staying with her until she's pretty much out, but I was a little surprised that she was not completely unconscious when they put the throat tube in. Is that usual?

The vet did say she's using lighter anesthesia because Zippy is elderly (12 1/2), so maybe that's why? In the past (I guess with other vets?), the dog seemed completely under before they put it in.

How do they usually time this?

Guest mbfilby

I would guess that your pup got a lower dose of Ketamine (or similar drug) as a pre-anesthesia then they used gas to knock him out. The Ketamine would not knock them out completely. This is safe Greyhound protocol. Yeah for your Vet :)

Mickey just went through this yesterday.

Guest Energy11

My former vet/employer used to lightly pre-sedate the greys as well, especially the seniors, and yes, he'd pass the ET tube before they were totally "under." Remember, oxygen is also administered through the ET tube, and they want to get it in place before they start with the Isoflorene gas.

Yes, you have a responsible vet! :-)) If you've never seen an ET tube passed, it can be traumatic.

Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way today.

I'm an old O.R. nurse and this is also not uncommon with humans,,,, most people just don't remember it,,,,, this is a safety measure, and once a doc,,, vet,, gets past a certain point the gag reflex is gone,,, if you have ever seen a person on a vent,,, the endo tube is not as troublesome as it seems, your pup was not as uncomfortable as you :)