Uti?

Guest Olivia0208

Guest Olivia0208

Hi Greytfolks - Olivia (2.5) has started urinating in the hallway between 2:00 & 5:00 a.m. In the past if she had to go out she would wake me up, but isn't doing that. I have never reprimanded her for waking me up and letting her out so she should have no reason to be scared to wake me up. This has happened for the past 3 days after a long walk (9 p.m.). She peed on the walk about 4 times, (a lot for her). She was also outside in the fenced yard at 10:00 p.m. for her bedtime potty. Could this be a UTI? She's eating fine, drinking (obviously) and nothing has changed environmentally. I'm nervous so if this doesn't read clearly please forgive and ask me questions. Thanks all. Sue

Guest mbfilby

Not all peeing in the house is a medical issue. Sometimes they have one ooops-a-daisy and that spot becomes their bathroom.

How do you know it is between 2:00am and 5:00am? Is someone up and causing the hound to stir at night? Can you keep her confined to your room at night?

I'm not saying don't get her checked, but if it is a UTI bad enough to cause excessive urination, it should not just be occurring at night.

Guest Olivia0208

Thanks - I've been getting up, however I let her out and sometime between that time and say, 3 hrs. later there's pee on the area rug. area rug was cleaned, removed and the next night same thing - but on the other area rug - also in the hallway. Yes, she can be confined to the bedroom w/ a babygate. I'll try that tonight. Meanwhile, if she doesn't want to go out after around 11 p.m. and at 5:30 a.m. I'll cancel the vet app't for tomorrow. I'll let ya' know. Thanks again, Sue

Guest mountain4greys

Thanks, I won't stop there. So - to the Vet? Just strange to me that it happens during the night and not daytime.

I'd start with taking a urine sample to the vet. You don't have to bring your dog. I use a small frisbee to catch the urine when they squat. Then put it in a small plastic bottle and drop it off. I can usually wait while the vet does a check.

Guest Olivia0208

Well, Olivia seems to be just fine::colgate. I changed our routine a little. Took her for a walk at 5 p.m. (hot as you know what outside), fed, watered, slept, slept, slept some more, played, walked again at 8:30 p.m. Last potty call at 10:00, biscuit and bed. Baby gated her in our bedroom. 3 a.m. the princess wanted to go out. Leashed her and took her in the fenced in yard. Nothing. Came back in and she slept until 9 a.m. She has done the 3 a.m. thing in the past so I wasn't surprised. I think maybe getting more attention during the day and not having access to water after 10 p.m. plus, of course, the baby gate made the difference. Who knows, but she was never uncomfortable (roaching etc) so there you have it. She was bored. I'll give her 1 more night before I cancel the Vet app't. Just in case. Thanks for all your suggestions. I love the frisbee idea to catch her urine if I ever have to. Thanks everyone!

Edited by Olivia0208