Cat Intro Advice Needed For A Newbie!

Guest tjedge2

Glad it's working out! When we brought Molly home Miles made her she knew it was HIS house, and she has a healthy respect for him! The cats definitely rule our house, and they let Molly stay

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest Shermanator

Go little girl!

Oh and if one of the cats is brave enough to give hound a good hit with paws/claws, it might go a long way to teaching hound to steer a bit clear.

Yeah, my cats terrorize Echo. They are 15 years old, declawed, fat and happy cats. However, Max's mission in life to to terrorize Echo. She stalks the dog, then hisses and swats at Echo, which sends Echo into a mad scramble to get away.

We also have to keep my MIL's kittens from the dogs, since they both terrorize the pups when we visit her. :blink:

Edited by Shermanator

Guest aeroangie

I am new to the forum but have now adopted my third Greyhound. This is the first one that has ever chased my cats. I have been doing a lot of reading on here and on the web about things to try. I came across this article and thought I should share it. http://www.petgreyhounds.info/cats.htm

My first two were retired racers (Torch and Blaze) but my new baby Otis is just that....a baby! He never raced b/c he was born with a dislocated shoulder. He is fine now but is under a year old. It seems no matter what I teach him one day he forgets the next.

I am so glad to be on this forum again. I was a member a long time ago. It looks like I am going to need some advice on this one!!!

Guest chinamom

Hi Peck's Parent,

You have been given lots of hope and greyt advice. Our experience was different (see page 5 Caroline and the cats) in that our first grey, after 2 behavourists coming to our house) could not stop chasing the cats. She licked, blew her cheeks, statued and gazed when she could see one and hunted all day long when she couldn't. We finally realized that it was too hard on the poor dog to be so alert all the time.

We had her 11 weeks and loved her to bits but had to return her to the agency....our cats were very much in danger, someday something horrible was going to happen......she is now happy in a catless home!!!!!

The awesome girl we have now is so cat safe that one gets into bed with her HOWEVER!!!

our first experience taught us that no dog and no cat will ever be able to get at each other when we're not home!!!

Good luck and let us know how Peck changes in the coming days and weeks.

I would like to add one thing to this if I may. While the hounds and cats may get along in the house, outside may be a different matter. Sometimes it seems that once outside, all the rules are tossed out and anything goes as far as the grey interacting with the cat. Not sure why this is, but it sometime happens.

Good luck with your training.

Gary