Young Dog...

Guest Furmom

Guest Furmom

Ok so we just introduced outdoor toys this week because mutt dog is ball crazy (wanted to teach drop it, and look at me). New adopter also loves balls and is becoming quite the retriever :) Problem - old girls have much better endurance than new dog ( all have been walked the last month the same). Full blood panel done when new pup came to live with us and vet gave her a clean bill of health. Am I being new Mom worried for nothing or should I investigate her excessive panting? Should I have our vet do another blood panal?

Not sure where you are but if it's been warm, it could just be the heat.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Furmom

high 80's in Ottawa - but the girls are in air all day except for 2x a day when they are let out in they yard while we are at work for zoomies and bathroom. Would extended kennel stay work down her endurance? - ie our girls who are 5+ years older have lived in a home and had regular exercise? This is all I can think of beside brining her back to my vet for adoption testing that was done (ie heart worm)

Oh yes, extended stay in a kennel would definitely affect her endurance. She's not used to regular exercise. If it's not warm and she has plenty of water, let her play, she'll let you know when she's tired. I'll bet in no time she'll be up to speed with your others.

She should have been tested for heart worms before being placed for adoption so I wouldn't worry about that.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Furmom

Thanks Jillysfullhouse :) I was worried that I should have a new blood panel done to make sure - poor girl I can see that she wants to keep up with the older girls but doesn't have the staying power.... DH and I have cancelled our holiday weekend and are going to watch things closely - but maybe I might be over reacting....

Edited by Furmom

Just let her build up slowly. It's like someone who decides they're going to run a marathon, they have to build up their endurance slowly. If in the next few weeks she's not improving, then you might want to have her checked out but I'm pretty sure she'll soon be keeping pace with her housemates.

Guest Furmom

I think sometimes when it comes to the girls - I need to calm down :) I just don't know Camp's history and some times it scares me..... thanks for the advice and I will be watching closely :)

ps - we will do a home project this weekend that the DH is excited about - so he won't be too disturbed about not going away :)

Edited by Furmom

I'm afraid to tell you this, I don't want to scare you........

My first two babies were Brindle and Topaz. Topaz was a year younger than Brindle. I noticed that Topaz was slowing down more so than Brindle. Couldn't keep up during walks. I took her to the vets and unfortunately got the old country doc and he just said to give her horse vitamins (this was before I became so medically knowledgeable). A year later, she was showing an extended belly and we did an ultrasound. Her liver was very very small even though her liver enzymes were fine.

We did a liver function test (they are special tests not in the normal chemistry panel) and the results were off the charts. About 100 times what they should have been.

I lost her within 4 weeks.

Topaz was only 5 yrs old.

Edited by MP_the4pack