Relieving In The House (Side Effects Or For Spite)

Guest Marcus

Guest Marcus

A while back I posted about my dog, Chase, developing seizures. We have since had him on various levels of Pheno and WAS doing ok overall, but on top of still having seizures (although further apart) he has now just become a completely different dog behavior-wise. Before his condition started and was given meds, I never had to worry about ANY kind of destructive behavior. Now, it seems we can't even leave the house for an hour or two without him getting into something, knocking over the garbage, etc. Which...he never even LOOKED at the garbage before. That's just a small example...but what we are really having a hard time with is that he has taken to just flat-out pooping in the house. Several times now. He never has done that before either (even with the side effects from the pheno).

To get to the point, he is a totally different dog, and it breaks my heart because I don't think it's his fault. But at the same time, it's a lot of stress on us as a family (My wife is also pregnant at the moment).

So the two factors that we are pinpointing are these:

1. The side effects from Pheno taking their toll.

2. I was unemployed for almost a year and was home with him mostly, but now work long hours (I have someone come to take him out once or twice a day).

If ANYONE has any opinion on what the issue may be here...please help. I mean, I realize it can be a combination...but if that's the case, can you discuss what measures I can take if he doesn't stop going in the house? Diapers, a doggy door, crate him again? Does potassium bromide help with any of the Pheno side effects? (I dunno).

Thanks for listening

Honestly, it sounds like separation anxiety, especially since you say you were home for a year, he got used to you being there all the time. I personally have never known a dog on phenobarbital to completely change personalities like that. My seizure boy is on huge amounts of phenobarbital and has never had personality symptoms that drastic as a side effect. Not to say that it has never happened, I've just never heard of these symptoms specifically. They may have subtle changes, but nothing as drastic as that. Destruction and going in the house are two classic signs of separation anxiety.

There are a lot of people on this board really experienced with separation anxiety. If you post in the Training and Behavior section, they'd be more than happy to help you. I have no experience with separation anxiety.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest MyBoys

Honestly, it sounds like separation anxiety, especially since you say you were home for a year, he got used to you being there all the time. I personally have never known a dog on phenobarbital to completely change personalities like that. My seizure boy is on huge amounts of phenobarbital and has never had personality symptoms that drastic as a side effect. Not to say that it has never happened, I've just never heard of these symptoms specifically. They may have subtle changes, but nothing as drastic as that. Destruction and going in the house are two classic signs of separation anxiety.

There are a lot of people on this board really experienced with separation anxiety. If you post in the Training and Behavior section, they'd be more than happy to help you. I have no experience with separation anxiety.

I have to agree with it being SA, I have had a number of dogs over the years on Phenobarb for seizures and never saw a change in their personality other then the time it takes for the phenobarb to build up in their system. He has had you around for a year and now your not there, his world has sort of been turned upside down. You may have to start from square one and do some alone training with him until he settles into your new routine.

Guest Marcus

Thanks guys! I hope I can get him back to his old self. Bu he even went in his own crate the other day...so that's why I was not so sure it was separation anxiety. I don't know too many dogs who would do that unless they truly cannot hold it. Oh well. I will see what I can do. And will report back with the results. This is such a helpful forum.

Ryan was a different dog on pheno. Though the garbage raiding didn't start until we added KBr to the mix. Drinking tons more and therefore having to pee much more often.

But it sounds like you are experiencing some SA issues.

Guest Marcus

Ryan was a different dog on pheno. Though the garbage raiding didn't start until we added KBr to the mix. Drinking tons more and therefore having to pee much more often.

But it sounds like you are experiencing some SA issues.

Aww...looks like you just recently lost him. So sad.

Even if there is SA involved, that's not spite. It's anxiety. Completely different. Not something he can help.

Hope you get it figured out. I know it's hard.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Even if there is SA involved, that's not spite. It's anxiety. Completely different. Not something he can help.

Hope you get it figured out. I know it's hard.

I hope you can get it figured out too, and as for spite, I don't think they're capable of doing something out of spite. It may look like that to us, but I just don't believe that's possible

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless