Miles Is Gulping And Wants To Eat Grass To Vomit

Guest GriffinsMom

Guest GriffinsMom

Miles was in very poor health when he came to me and I wonder if his vomiting episodes indicates there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Every two or three months, early in the morning, Miles starts gulping and his muzzle becomes wet with saliva. He wants to go outside and eat grass. I have let him eat grass a few times that this has happened and the amount of grass he will eat is amazing. It was a small bail of hay which he then proceeded to throw up. He will vomit at least once more before the episode is over and he is back to normal. Is letting him eat grass until he vomits the correct thing to do?

At 3:00am this morning I woke up knowing that there was something wrong. Then I heard the unmistakable sounds of Miles gulping. I crushed a Pepsid and hid it in a small piece of bread that Miles ate. After about 20 minutes it seemed to help but he started gulping again by 4:00am so I took the dogs out for a 45 minute walk and Miles seemed to feel better after emptying himself. Miles wanted breakfast but I only gave him a small piece of bread with this thyroid meds in it. He has not vomited but he is not "right" either.

So should I let Miles eat grass or try to treat with a Pepsid and fasting? Could the vomiting episodes indicate that there may be something more wrong with him?

Thank you for your help.

Sharon

Pepcid and fasting.

Good luck to Miles and you. I know the dogs eat a fair amount of grass anyway but you just never know what bugs are in it so I try to prevent it.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Have you had him in to the vet? What are his health issues? What time do you feed him dinner? The reason I ask is if it's not health related, it's probably because he's hungry. I always give mine a treat before I put them to bed. A lot of times an empty stomach will make a dog vomit that yellow bile. I would definitely not let him eat grass, give him something to eat and see if this fixes the problem. If it does, then start giving him a snack before bed. If it doesn't fix the problem, then I'd take him to the vet.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'd agree with 'Jillys' post on this one. If it is yellow bile, probably frothy, he brings up then it is mostly likely empty tummy syndrome. A few biscuits or a small handful of his normal kibble right at bed time may be all he needs to cure it and that is certainly the easy option I would try first.

Sue from England

Guest Energy11

That licking and gulping could mean NAUESA.

I would give the Pepcid AC with some PLAIN yogurt, when he does this, and see what happens. Also, maybe some treats like suggested above. It could be an empty stomach, but it could be lots of other things as well.

If he hasn't seen the vet in a while, it is definitely time, to rule out other problems that might be making him do this. I would NOT let him eat the grass.

Hoping he feels better soon, and you get the the bottom of this. Good Luck.

Guest kydie

all pups here get a bedtimes snack,,, a G.T,'er here told me about bedtimes snacks, when my boy was doing the same type of thing during the wee hours of the a.m. started to save about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of kibble out of his dog food during the day,,, and give it at bedtime, and this vomiting stopped,,,, just a suggestion :)

Too much grass can actually get hung up in the intestine or severely irritate as it comes through. We once had a dog with a belly ache for several days. We put a muzzle on him when he went outside after that. That solved the grass-eating problem and he no more belly aches. B)

Given that he arrived in poor health, plus that he seems to want to get rid of something that's inside him, I'm wondering about worms. The gulping is suspicious too from that point of view.

A negative fecal won't mean that he doesn't have worms. But it's worth testing anyway. Shoot, after what we've been through with worms, I'd say go ahead and worm him anyway.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).