Meet Larry

Guest Pandasmom

Guest Pandasmom

Hi all. I'm not so new here as I have posted several times before but now that Larry has epilepsy I think I will be on here a bit more so I thought I would introduce ourselves. My name is Susan and I am married with 2 kids ages 9 and 6. About 4 years ago we decided to get a family dog. My husband had a greyhound before and said thats what we should get. Now, my son has several allergies so we needed to "test" him around greys. We found a breeder near us and asked if we could visit. When we got there he seemed fine so the breeder said she didn't have any racers to adopt out but she had a puppy with a broken leg and asked if we would want him. He was so cute how could we say no. So we brought him home. Now the story she told us of his leg goes like this. When he was a week old his mom had stepped on him and broken it. Breeder didn't notice it for a while after that so it didn't get proper care. Now he walks and runs fine but being weaker the other dogs picked on him so he has a few scars and oddities like hiding his food. Life was greyt! He is the smartest dog I've ever had and is greyt with the kids. Then on Sat he had a seizure. Scariest thing I've ever witnessed. Call to the vet...watch him...another one sun morning...emergency trip to vet...phenobarbital...another one just after getting home from vet...several small ones that night. Now he's had none since but he seems very anxious and paces and whines. He has even started going to the bathroom in the house. Vet said to call back Wed if he is still acting like this. I'm hoping we can figure this all out soon. My stress level is thru the roof now and thats not good for anyone.

Guest boondog

Welcome from Ohio! I'd love to see pictures of Larry. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here when it comes to seizure dogs.

Welcome! Larry going in the house is because the Phenobarbital is going to make him drink more than he normally would. You'll have to let him out a lot more to go to the bathroom. I think I posted most of the other advice on the seizures in your thread in health and medical.

I know it's hard, but try to relax a little. The seizures could be caused by low blood sugar, thyroid problems or have no real cause at all at which point you will be dealing with epilepsy and it can be dealt with. It's possible to get Larry's seizures under control. It may take a little while, but in most cases, it can be done.

BTW, do you have any pictures of Larry? We'd love to see some!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I forgot to mention, once you get to 50 posts, you will be able to send people private messages so that if you have questions, you can contact people personally.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Welcome from Florida to GT :welcome !!! Larry is Adorable and I love the picture!!! :wub:

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest tinams8

He is adorable! what a great picture!

I don't know about seizures but I'm sure there's lots of info here. I hope you find what you are looking for!

welcome.gif Larry & your kids are adorable. wub.gif (Did Larry win that game of Sorry? He looks like he was watching very intently to make sure no one cheated! lol.gif)

I'm sorry he's having some troubles. There are some very knowledgeable seizure people here who can give you lots of support. So keep posting about him & I'm sure you'll be able to work things out. grouphug.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Pandasmom

Thanks all. He seems to be doing better but now we are dealing with separation anxiety. He had a little before the seizures but now it's pretty bad. The doc thinks that is why he is going in the house. He has only done it when I leave him alone. So we will work on that now. I'm just glad he is getting back to the old Larry we know and love.