How Long Can You Expect A New Dog To Hold It?

Guest Jubilee251

Guest Jubilee251

With all these questions, you'd think I've never gone through the first-time-greyhound-owner experience! But Molly was a girl, and this giant big foster boy is different. ;)

I'm paranoid about his potty breaks. So far, he hasn't had an accident in the house nor tried to mark. The longest we've gone without a potty break during the daytime is about 3.5 hours. He is fine during the night for 9 hours or so. He drinks SO MUCH water, but maybe it's just because he's a big guy and obviously has different needs than petite little princess Molly.

Can I expect him to hold it 4 or 5 hours right off the bat? I've been trying to stretch out the time, but like I said, I just get paranoid he won't hold it and will just let loose a gallon in the house. He was never in a home, went from the track to a temporary kennel situation. I go back to work on Tuesday, and it's usually a 5ish hour stretch between when we leave in the morning and when the dog walker comes.

Have you tried some times away from home yet? Usually they'll have to go out more when you're home because they're more active. You're there, and a dog has to watch what you do! :lol

Sometimes they drink out of nervousness. That generally tapers off over several days.

Will he be crated when you're gone? If he gets good and empty right before you leave, he'll likely be fine for 4-5 hours. Don't be surprised if there's an accident or two -- everypup can misinterpret a sound, etc. -- but that too should taper off over time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What Jey said. They're used to holding it in the kennels for 4 - 5 hour stretches between turn outs and all night. It sounds like your guy is doing very well in that department. He's drinking because he's nervous. Once he settles in he won't drink as much and mine want out more now that I'm not working than when I was working.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Jubilee251

Thanks guys! We've left him alone (with Molly at home too, of course - both muzzled!) a few times this weekend for 2-3 hours, and his bellyband is always dry when we come back. He is only crated at night, but not when we leave - both he and Molly are babygated to the living room/kitchen. As far as I know, he has no separation anxiety - no one has whined when we leave, no destruction or accidents. Whew!

It's only been half a year since we got Molly, but it feels like we've had her forever...I forgot how much worrying comes with the adjustment period!

We need to have another romp in Pooch Park, with the new guy along to be inspired by the Ladies.

~D~

We do! I'm been avoiding the dog parks because he's so new right now and still a foster. He was at a boarding facility, where they let him out to play with other dogs and small dogs, and said he does great with all kinds. But I'd rather not risk anything, and want him to settle in and get to know him before we let him run free with other dogs. So far, he's been fantastic with dogs we've met on our walks.