Dealing With Thunderstorms

Guest saltwaterron

Guest saltwaterron

when we got riley 2 years ago she was terrified of thunderstorms. she would pant and pace and never settle down til the storm was gone. she always gave us ample warning that one was on the way. we tried everything to calm her down. natural remedies..benedryl..sedatives from the vet. none of them worked. this year is totally different. she is not reacting the same. she has found safe haven in one of our bedrooms. oh, she still whines to start with but we tell her to go lie down and she disappears. only loud thunderbolts will bring her out. she just lies there til the storm passes. anyone else have this experience of their grey "growing" into dealing with storms?

Guest greystoked

Yes, after 7 years, Sweetie is finally no longer freaking the freek out. I mean, really... there were times he seemed to be trying to climb up our clothes in the closet to get up into the attic!:blink:

But our kitchen table is arranged so that there is a convenient 'hidey-hole' space underneath for hounds to wait it out. That's about as close to a crate as he's come in those years, and only during really active storms, and he seems quite happy about that.

The trouble is, I love storms. I like to watch, and even walk around in them... conditions permitting. Mary, however, does not. So when she tells Sweetie to calm down, he can hear in the tone of her voice that it's one of those "Do as I say, not as I do" thingys. You can't fool a Greyhound.

He knows long before we do when storms approach, he should work for the NWS. But now, though still very nervous, he doesn't hide under the table unless the storm is directly overhead and very loud; where at first, he'd be bouncing off the walls at a distant rumble.

I just keep calm, and move Mary's chair and footstool so he can fit... he also appreciates a gentle butt-rub with my stocking foot.

Not surprisingly, he's also doing better with gunshots (we sometimes hear them during woods walks,) and fireworks. This 4th, he didn't freak out at all, and there were rockets and M-80s galore. (Hmmphh. Still are.)

Glad to hear Riley's feeling safer!

That's great that your puppers have found a safe spot! I made a safe spot for Zema -- usually in her bed, but really most anywhere UNDER a blanket :lol . New girl Gidget is a tougher case but your stories give us hope. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.