Something Kind Of Strange

Guest LunaTygerCat

Guest LunaTygerCat

Last night Athena started doing something weird after her walk. It's almost like she has hiccups in just her throat. It's not all the time. I would say it's like she is trying to clear her throat. It's really strange. SHe doesn't do it all the time. She is playing fine, eating and drinking fine and being herself just fine. What is it? Should I be concerned? Help!

Sounds like 'reverse sneezing'. Does it sound like a long harsh snort followed by a gulp, repeated many times? The dog will usually stand with his head slightly lowered and with a most unhappy expression on his face as if he's choking to death. He isn't. :) If it's that, it's common, and harmless. :)

All of mine have done it from time to time. Sometimes if you stroke the throat gently but firmly it will pass more quickly.

Very, very, occasionally it can be associated with something else, but 99.9% of the time it's a harmless spasm that dogs get. Greyhounds seem to get it more than some breeds.

There was a link to a video posted some time ago. I'll see if I can find it, unless someone else finds it first!

Here you go - click here.

Is that what Athena does? Of course, since she's a bigger dog, it will sound louder and lower in pitch.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop