Muzzles In The House?

Guest 4dogscrazy

Guest eaglflyt

When it was just our grey, Ady Bea, and our elderly Aussie, Jake, we didn't muzzle. However, now that we're fostering 1 or 2 additional greys all the time, everyone is muzzled when we're not here!

Oh, and all cats are always in a separate room with a closed and secured door when we're not here ... both before and after beginning to foster. Muzzles will NOT keep a cat safe. ;)

Guest 4dogscrazy

Wow, this has been interesting! I know a lot have you have bigger packs, and I always wondered what you did with all of them when you left. I also know that some of you work from home, so it's not a regular occurance with leaving all the time. I do have an office job, and have a 12 year old that is very active, but DH is a chef so he works nights and weekends, so we kind of having revolving schedules. They do wear their muzzles daily here, but not for more than three/four hours tops.

As far as the nipping and snarking at the beginning, that was all because we added a young boy to the pack. He really upset the balance here, and it took me a while to get a handle on things. He initially was crated at night, and crated when we left, I would always do that with a newbie. But as far as the yard goes? It took me a while to figure out what to do. I joined in October, so I had him for three months before I really had you guys to help :) and my adoption group was very helpful too. He was a bit of a handful in the beginning, but it really wasn't him who did most of the nipping, the girls started squabbling too! Piper was so upset in the beginning she went off food! It was weird because they got along well at the kennel, and were with each other for days before we brought them all home. The girls were being kenneled because we were on vacation, and I had them put them all together to see how they would do. But I guess when we got home things were different.

I have to say, that since I did the "crackdown" on all the rough play, separated them when they were eating, crated the two youngest at night and when we left, the dust has settled and everyone is happy. I was also dealing with an SA dog, so it took some brains to work out the problems. I have never had a pack this big in my life, and I do rely on you guys to give me some direction. And my group is awesome too, they have helped me a lot. I have to say that I never felt like I was in over my head or anything, and I would never give any of them up for anything. They get along well in the house, and always have, it's just the yard play that was out of hand in the beginning. Once I took control, everyone settled down, which is why I finally retired the crates. They have been excellent at night, and I haven't heard a peep from any of them about beds or space. They are good about getting stepped on and bumped too. In fact, I can't remember the last grumble I heard from any of them, it's been months. But...that's not saying it couldn't happen. I guess I'll just keep muzzling them, he's a good boy and I'd love to make him happy, but I don't want any of them getting hurt. I've never had a dog that needed stitches or staples, and I don't care to start now!

Guest vulferius

I start all of my dogs with crates when I leave, they graduate to limited freedom and them total freedom. In both freedom stages they wear muzzle. One I have absolutely no fear that he would be involved in any sort of trouble but it just seems fair that he should wear a muzzle too (in the racing kennel all the dogs jumped him, the boys first and when he was moved to the girls' side they jumped him too - he just stood there and never batted an eye).

I would rather everyone were safe. My biggest fear is a fight and subsequent bleed out.

-Jeff