Vitamins?

My greyhound is 4 and has IBS. He is a food hound. His coat is beautiful. All that said to ask if I should be giving him vitamins? He eats Dick Van Patten's Bison and Sweet Potato. His only treat is Sam's Yams from Front Porch. Anything else will give him the big D. Thank you.

Guest Energy11

I don't know much about IBD dogs, so I am sure somebody that has one will chime in. I give mine vitamins and joint supplements, myself.

Glad he is doing well on the food and the Sam's Yams! The Sam's are a HIT here!

Good Luck!

Guest Energy11

I use Pet Tab Senior for mine. Obviously, you wouldn't need senior vits :-). The supplements are glucosamine and Chrondroitin. With a four yr old, you probably don't need the joint supplements yet.

With IBD, I'd also check with your vet before giving vitamins, OR see what the others with IBD dogs think. Good luck and lots of hugs coming your way! Dee

Guest greytgreys

My boy had IBD. He was terrible!! He could not eat ANYTHING other than a prescription diet. No treats--I would get the canned food and roll it into balls and then bake until hard. I had been giving him a lot of supplements that I followed from Dr. Pitkarins' book. The vets I saw felt all the vitamins and omegas I was giving him only worsened his condition. I'm just saying be careful!

Your dog has IBS. Ours has IBD, which I think is worse. I only make the distinction, though, to be honest with you that I don't know much about IBS. I had to focus all my energy into learning about the other thing. And maybe you can be more liberal with supplements than we can, or maybe you can't.

The only thing we give our dog besides food and prescribed meds is an amino acid called L-glutamine. Two of our vets recommended it, and I *thought* it was for firming poop. Turns out that it actually goes a long way toward *healing* the walls of the stomach and intestines. I can tell that our dog is *much* better since we resumed the L-glutamine, which I had discontinued for a while for some stupid reason. I have to think this is a great supplement, maybe the best, for any dog with intestinal damage. Good luck!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).