Blossom Got Bit

Guest TeddysMom

Guest TeddysMom

All the dogs were laying around sleeping, DH was at the kitchen sink, I went back to throw in a load of laundry. I heard a scream, Blossom was headed down the hall toward me but I didn't notice anything at first. I looked in the living room, everyone still sacked out but then I noticed a tear on Blossoms face right below her eye. It is a "V" shaped tear about 1/4" on each side. We cleaned it with Chlorhexidine solution, nothing torn except skin so we put a drop of surgical glue, fixed it, applied EMT gel and put her on Chephalexin. They greys that were in the livingroom are back to wearing muzzles. I hate to say it but I think it might have been my "perfect" Spice, the more comfortable she has become in the house the more she has gotten a bit bed aggressive. She was laying on one of the dog beds in front of the couch and although I can't prove it, she looked a little guilty. Poor little Blossom, she was so good letting us doctor her.

Guest BlueCrab

Any chance it's not dog-related at all? Perhaps a loose nail or small piece of wood working itself out of a hard-wood floor, loose nail working itself out of a seam in a sofa or chair, loose nail working its way out of a piece of moulding along a door frame or along the floor? Little tiny nails appear to be everywhere in my new house - along the edges of the carpet, seams of furniture, flooring, door moulding...never ceases to amaze me what I get snagged on. Thank goodness it's usually me and not the dogs.

Guest TeddysMom

Any chance it's not dog-related at all? Perhaps a loose nail or small piece of wood working itself out of a hard-wood floor, loose nail working itself out of a seam in a sofa or chair, loose nail working its way out of a piece of moulding along a door frame or along the floor? Little tiny nails appear to be everywhere in my new house - along the edges of the carpet, seams of furniture, flooring, door moulding...never ceases to amaze me what I get snagged on. Thank goodness it's usually me and not the dogs.

Truthfully..I didn't even think of that. I guess I had better do an environmental check to see it there is anything at that level that could have caused it. Thanks.

Guest TeddysMom

I wouldn't assume it was the dogs...especially if you heard nothing and no one was stirred.

Well, I checked every surface for any possible sharp spots and found nothing that could have caught her so I still have no idea what happened and probably never will. She doesn't seem traumatized by it in anyway and everyone, including Blossom, are still sacked out. She did get extra cookies though for being such a brave girl.

Ouch, poor Blossom! So glad she's going to be all right. Maybe it was from a warning snap, but maybe a cut that small could even have been from one of the other hounds kicking in their sleep? Heal up fast, sweet Blossom! :wub:

If you didn't hear a snark combined with the scream, I would be tempted to think it wasn't one of the other dogs. Paradise walked up to me once (this was several years ago) and she had a V shaped gash in her forehead. I never heard anything, no yelp, no growl, nothing. We searched the house and finally found a corner of a table with a little bit of blood on it, the only thing we can think of is that she gashed her head on that.

We called her "Frankendoggie" for a while because the vet put staples in her forehead. :lol

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC