Wailing, Crying And Head-Shaking After Bath

I gave the hounds baths this evening. About 10 or 15 minutes after his bath, Tiny started wailing, whimpering and crying. He was violently shaking his head and holding it to one side. I petted him, tried to calm him down and tried to figure out where he was hurt. He seemed to want me to rub his goofy ear, so I did that until he stopped crying. A cookie seemed to make him forget the pain, though he is periodically continuing to shake his head.

Maybe he got water in his ear. Could that cause him pain? Maybe he just didn't like the weird feel of it? I thought perhaps he could have an ear infection, but I looked in there/swabbed it with a paper towel/sniffed and it doesn't look or smell like there's any infection.

I will continue to monitor him and see if he improves as he dries out.

Any ideas?

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest Samantha

I gave the hounds baths this evening. About 10 or 15 minutes after his bath, Tiny started wailing, whimpering and crying. He was violently shaking his head and holding it to one side. I petted him, tried to calm him down and tried to figure out where he was hurt. He seemed to want me to rub his goofy ear, so I did that until he stopped crying. A cookie seemed to make him forget the pain, though he is periodically continuing to shake his head.

Maybe he got water in his ear. Could that cause him pain? Maybe he just didn't like the weird feel of it? I thought perhaps he could have an ear infection, but I looked in there/swabbed it with a paper towel/sniffed and it doesn't look or smell like there's any infection.

I will continue to monitor him and see if he improves as he dries out.

Any ideas?

Definatley water in the ear, make sure its really dry.

Water in the ear really hurts them like that? I never knew.

Will go after him with another paper towel and see if we can dry things out a bit faster.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest Samantha

Water in the ear really hurts them like that? I never knew.

Will go after him with another paper towel and see if we can dry things out a bit faster.

When Ive bathed Maddison she wails like you've chopped her ear off :blink: I bathed her the 1st day I got her and rang the vet while she was wimpering like a sissy :lol:. He said water in the ear can cause pain, snd she held her head to one side for awhile after too. I did the same as you chased her round with a paper towel :lol: . They cause you so much worry don't they :lol:

Guest Swifthounds

Sounds like water in the ear. It's not always painful, but it feels odd and can affect balance. It'll be fine in time. I usually hold the ear flaps down with one hand and spray or soap the head and neck with the other. You can also try cotton in the ears, but not cotton balls - they're usually too small. Most importantly, I would give it a few weeks (so as not to irritate the skin) and bathe again, with extra care for the ears, so that you can create a good experience that replaces this one.

Unrelated, but I really like those super absorbent shammies for bath time. I use them before the towel. I sweat scrape the excess water off, shammy, and then towel for comfort. Much dried, much faster.

Keep some jumbo-sized cotton balls on hand for bath time. You can put a couple in her ears before the bath. After the bath, stick a dry cotton ball in each ear, then massage and rub the ear really well. She'll love the ear-rubs, and you can get a lot of excess moisture that way.

P.S. Make sure they're cotton balls, not "cosmetic" balls, which often are not cotton...and not absorbent.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Wow, gives a new meaning to Drama Queen. rolleyes.gif Glad Tiny's feeling better. kiss1.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest TeddysMom

Glad Tiny is feeling better this morning. I keep a bottle of Swimmer's Ear on hand and put a couple of drops in after baths. It seems to work well.

Guest houndlygal

Try using a vet purchased ear cleaner with a drying agent in it next time after the bath -- it will dry up any excess water in the ear within about 24 hours and is much less irritating than digging in there with a paper towel.