Irritable Bowel Symdrome In Dogs?

Dewey never has diarrhea at home - but the instant we're out, especially at events involving lots of dogs, he poops a lot.. literally, forcing it out until it's either liquid or nothing comes out. This only happens at 'social' places.. Eg, with a walk around the local pond, he is fine.. A greyhound event, or dog meetup, or a walk in the woods with lots of different scents.. and he'll strain himself to keep pooping. Today we went to Dogfest and I think it overwhelmed him. After forcing out 2 regular poops, 4 small amounts of diarrhea, he strained to poop until he squeaked and nothing was coming out. At that point, being 90 degrees out and him being a black dog, we decided it was best we sit in the car with him, with full air conditioning on.

But since we got home, he seems so stiff and he's limping a bit. I could just be over-paranoid here.. he did have a really long walk in the sun today, but part of me worries he strained himself trying to poop. If he gets worse I'll get him to the vet ASAP.. he just looks achey and tired, and right now he's completely zoned out on the sofa, asleep.. but this "excitement, must poop myself to the point of diarrhea". does worry me.

He has a vet checkup in a few days anyway, but I was curious as to whether or not any other greytalk users have a hound that does this.

Edited by starhound

Beau haa been surgically diagnosed with IBDnot IBS. I wish it were IBS.

IBS is easy to control.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/889387/is_it_ibs_or_ibd.html

What you are describing sounds like the heat kicked his butt.

What would make you think IBS?

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

What would make you think IBS?

I think because a (human) member of my family was diagnosed with IBS.. and the same thing happened whenever they got nervous or stressed. I understand dogs and humans are different though.. it only happens when Dewey's nervous/excited, though..

Edited by starhound

A lot of dogs and people have loose poop when nervous!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest houndlygal

Sounds like stress colitis -- incredibly common, especially in the deep chested dogs like Houndlies. You could try adding some fiber to his diet and see if that helps :)

Just in case anybody is still following this thread... Dewey was due a check-up at the vets for some random lameness a few days ago (X-ray determines no bone cancer, most likely just muscle injury.. thank god) .. 2 days later and some anti-inflammatories and he seems all better :)

I mentioned the force-pooping to my vet and he said trying to poop everywhere is another form of marking behaviour, most probably mixed with excitement... he never gets diahrrea at home so it's bound to be behavioural instead of physical...

Any suggestions on how to 'calm down' his poops? :eek

Edited by starhound

Any suggestions on how to 'calm down' his poops? :eek

Maybe calm down the dog? You might want to try some herbal/holistic things people use for stressed dogs – Rescue Remedy, melatonin, or Chinese herbs come to mind.

You would just use them when you knew he was going to be in a situation that triggers his excitement.

By the way, I agree with the vet’s assessment – marking isn’t just for pee!

;)

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties