Another Lure Coursing Question

Guest eaglflyt

Guest eaglflyt

I have one more lure coursing question to all of you who are experienced lure coursers. If a hound is physically fit, do you have a maximum heat and humidity point at which you will not lure course your hound? If so, at what point do you make the call to not lure course your hound(s)?

I know that less heat with more humidity is just as difficult as more heat with less humidity. I'm just wondering if you have a general rule for your hounds. I'm reading and really studying ... hoping to do a little lure coursing in the fall ... when it's *COOLER*. We only let Ady Bea exercise/train lightly very early AM or late PM now. We're having very hot and *swampy* weather! I've also been tempted to climb into her wading pool with her! :lol

edited to correct typo

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest KennelMom

for my dogs, it's usually the ground conditions that make me hesitate moreso than the heat/humidity. Dry and hard ground is hell on paws and feet...and legs. There's really no firm rule, you have to know your dog and know what they can tolerate. We're done running here until the fall. Greyhounds definitely run better in cooler weather. Less chance for injury and more pleasant all the way around for handlers and hounds. For the most part, we don't really even have field trials in the hot summer months..there's one in Atlanta in July which I'll probably go to without dogs or maybe just take the puppy and have her run just a small section of the course for practice. She'll be a year old next month so she'll be old enough to start officially running soon...

The group that we lure race with her in NC/SC area, does the (the straight kind) stops in April for the season and picks back up in October. It is in the mid to high 90s today and it is too hot for me to stand out there for all day so I can imagine what it would be like for the dogs to lure during the day. I am putting off cutting the back yard til about 7pm tonight as it is so hot.

Edited by Maddiesmom

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest LynnM

I did that field trial in ATL in July several years ago with my Old Man (black dog, 8 or 9 years old at the time and tough as nails)... He handled it like a champ but I still feel stupid now for risking it. It was the sort of even where he won because he was the last one standing. We went through an extraordinary amount of VetWrap and I was constantly hosing him down. He was in an A/C-ed vehicle for most of the day. We did a LOT of walking/hiking in the Florida heat, so he was well acclimated. Looking back, even though he was fine and in fact did well at the event, I dont think it was worth the risk. We never had an upper or lower limit for running, it was all about how the dog felt, and he was ALWAYS up for a run!

Lynn

Humidty and hound acclimation are both huge factors...

Several years ago, we nearly lost a dog that ran a practice run late in the day. The temp was only 80 degrees, but it was VERY humid. The dog had a fuzzy coat and wasn't well acclimated. She nearly died. (Not one of my dogs... a dog running at a trial where I was on the field committee.)

As Heather said, ground condition is also important. Hot ground (especially if dry) will literally burn the pads off a dog.

IMHO, if in doubt, don't do it. There is NO WAY I would run a dog in GA in July. (Well, we did it once back in the days when GANG ran night trials, and it turned out to be a COLD weekend. But, even that was nuts... more so for the humans than the hounds... we finished the trial at 4 AM!)

You are your dog's caretaker and your dog deserves every consideration for his/her health and well-being. If in doubt, just say NO.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

I don't have to make the choice. It is done for me. The groups here don't run in July at all and only late August. We are a lot further North than you are, but it does get very humid here. Dodger had a bad cramp his event before last. Just one practice run, but it was humid. He was not hydrated enough and he cramped. Black dog who is crazy focused at a meet and with a still fuzzy coat. Scared the crap out of me. Needless to say hydration was not a problem at the next event and DD was fine.

I also agree with Heather and Pam. If the ground is hot, dry and resembles concrete, I am not going to run my dog. If it is soggy, wet and slippery, I am not going to run my dog. I do straight line racing only. Dodger loves it. It is supposed to be fun for him, not get him hurt.