Raw Feeding Back Up

Guest greytloves

Guest greytloves

I have heard that the Delta Society and now my animal assisted therapy group are considering banning dogs that are raw fed particpating in AAT. (hospitals, nursing homes, schools) Now, I don't raw feed, I would but for many reasons not associated with the whole BARF contoversies (OK, I'm lazy) I would like to see if any of you raw feeders out there could send me links on why feeding raw would not spread germs to humans or be harmful.

If my group proposes this I plan to go to bat for the raw feeding society along with a boxer friend of mine who does feed raw.

Thanks!

I have heard that the Delta Society and now my animal assisted therapy group are considering banning dogs that are raw fed particpating in AAT. (hospitals, nursing homes, schools) Now, I don't raw feed, I would but for many reasons not associated with the whole BARF contoversies (OK, I'm lazy) I would like to see if any of you raw feeders out there could send me links on why feeding raw would not spread germs to humans or be harmful.

If my group proposes this I plan to go to bat for the raw feeding society along with a boxer friend of mine who does feed raw.

Thanks!

Check this thead. You may find answers to your question.

Delta Society Ruling

Guest FullMetalFrank

I don't have any hard facts; but we regularly raw feed here and have not seen any sort of issues. I am immunocompromised; I just try to always use good food sanitation practices like I do when preparing meat for the humans. Ii guess there is some concern that raw fed dogs can "shed" harmful bacteria or organisms. I do suppose it is possible and patient safety would have to be first and foremost. I hope someone does some more studies to see if there is really a tangible risk; I think if I had to choose between the diet I believe best for my pets and allowing them to do therapy work, I would have to choose the welfare of my pets. Kind of a sensitive subject I guess; being as there are still a lot of folks in the veterinary profession who don't agree with raw feeding to begin with for various reasons. :dunno

I feed partial raw and I have immune issues and have not had any problems. On the other hand, my father is very sick and will not be with us much longer and after hearing about the ruling, I decided to halt the raw feedings until my father has gone to the bridge. Bu and I spend at least a few hours a day with my father and he is sick, tired and in pain, the last thing I would want is for him to get something on top of all of that on the off chance there is a risk. I personally do not believe the risk to be high, but I will not risk getting my dying father sicker than he already is. This probably wouldn't affect me this much if it weren't such a personal situation. You need to do what you think is right.

• 2 months later...
Guest Swifthounds

I'm sorry to hear that, for the group as well as those it serves.

Of all the risks associated with hopitals, nursing homes, and assisted living facilities, raw fed dogs aren't high on the list of concerns for anyone but those with a vested interest in making money off of dogs being fed inferior and inappropriate diets.