Can Wormers Cause D 24 - 36 Hrs Later?

Guest Stripeyfan

Guest Stripeyfan

I wormed Kelly yesterday as he has to be wormed monthly (vet's recommendation as he has low/no parasite resistance). He has IBD, but wormers are the one thing that have NEVER given him big D, and yesterday his poops were greyt. However today he has done 2 very soft poops, am and pm, the 2nd one heading towards D. Of course this didn't happen till after he'd eaten so no question of starving him. I'm worried because I gave him the wormers after his other meds (ABs and pred) yesterday morning, as they said to give with or after food, which is when he has his meds, and now I'm concerned I might have upset him by giving everything at once. It's also a different wormer to the ones he's had before, Milbemax, although we got it from the vet. He's had Drontal Plus and Panacur before with no probs. Has anyone seen this before? Any advice?

Of course it's a bank holiday weekend here, so if it's his IBD flaring and he gets bad then we can't see our usual vet till at least Tuesday... when I was supposed to be ringing her with an update, and was hoping to be able to tell her how well he was doing! :(

Spencer got softer after his recent dose of Drontal Plus, also. And he's still softer than I'd like, two weeks later, but there may have been a food-change issue involved previously too. But he had a dental this week and came through well enough. And I don't consider softness alone a flare, really. When we get gut rumbling too, then I think it's a flare.

But this is just our experience and our interpretation. Based on that, I hope you'll be okay until Tuesday. Maybe go easier with the food for a day or so to rest his gut a bit. And I've just re-started his L-glutamate yesterday, hoping that will help firm things up. You got some of that, right?

I hope others will chime in here with their ideas, though it's a big holiday weekend on this side of the pond. We at least have some hugs and scritches and good thoughts to tide you over!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest mcsheltie

Yes it can. Especially when dealing with IBD, it is easy to throw them off.

I have never had a problem with Drontal. I got some generic Drontal. One of the drugs is different, two are the same. I had diarrhea in about 75% of the dogs. It went away on it's own in a couple days.

If you have a "protocol" for when he has a flare up I would start doing/feeding whatever that might be.

Guest Stripeyfan

Thanks for the good thoughts and advice. I've looked up the ingredients of Milbemax vs Drontal/Panacur and Milbemax has milbemycine in it, which is a different to the others. So I wonder if it's that? I can't really starve Kelly as he has to have food with his meds or they make him feel rough, but if he has to go again tonight and it's bad, I'll give him a very small amount of food tomorrow; if he doesn't go then I'll give him half his breakfast, maybe, and see where we go from there. He's on his supplements... might up the slippery elm a bit as he's only having that twice a day at the moment.

It's just worrying 'cuz he was doing so much better and wormers have never upset him before! :(

Guest Stripeyfan

I'm pleased to report 2 'bouncers' since yesterday pm, so it must have been the Milbemax. We'll be sticking to Drontal and Panacur from now on!!

Guest sirsmom

I usually see diahrea before I give the wormer and then in 2 days everything gets better so it must be a sensitivity.

Guest LindsaySF

Yes, many wormers can cause soft stool. Also for an IBD dog it doesn't take much to throw things off. Glad he's feeling better. :)