Tooth Extraction

Guest CDNgreys

Guest CDNgreys

My 11 year old 'mutt' is going in for a tooth extraction and I'm just so worried.

My Bridge Angel, Gunner went thru this for 25 teeth a few years ago and came thru fine.

Would appreciate hearing all the success stories of older dogs going thru this.

Thanks.

Paws crossed for Jazzy on Monday's extraction.

(she is getting the pre-anesthetic work up done and fluids during....)

CopyofJazzrocks.jpg

Jazzy has given herself the responsibility of showing every greyhound that has joined our family the ins and outs.

She teaches them the stairs, how to play, how to hit the bells on the door to ask to go potty.

Guest Energy11

Jazzy is a beautiful dog!

When I worked at the vet in Florida, we have some 11, 12, and a 13 yr. old Greyhounds, and several older mixed breeds have dentals without issue. I know of one mixed breed that was pushing 15.

They vet will do presurgical bloodwork to be sure there aren't any underlying issues like kidney problem, etc.

Good Luck! Sending lots of good thoughts, too!

Don't worry! Jazzy will come through just fine!

Atlas, almost 11, had a dental a few months ago and lost two teeth to it. He had no problems whatsoever, despite being hypothyroid (treated), with a grade 3/4 heart murmur. :D

Uber, 8, also had dental this year and lost three teeth to his. By supper time that day, he was starving and bugging us for his daily walk!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest greytchloe

My hound, also 11, just had a cleaning & tooth pulled yesterday. I was nervous as well, about the anesthesia, but everything went fine. If the tooth is bad enough to need extraction, chances are its pretty painful (or will soon be). So focus on how much better your pup will feel after! I had another dog have a dentistry w/ extractions at 14, with no ill effects as well.

Best of luck!