Lyme Vaccination?

Guest Gretchen

Guest Gretchen

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the lyme vaccination. Since i'm in CT, lyme is a big concern for pets. Just not sure in about in greyhounds. Thoughts...

Guest Swifthounds

I would not recommend it, and I live in the mecca of Lyme.

Do some research and get a few professional opinions before making a decision. Even among vets in an area, the recommendations vary.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest 3greysinPA

I was sure it was on here somewhere .. some where on GT that is...

That Lyme vaccination is not recommended in Greyhounds.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Nope, I would pass on it as well.

I lived in CT for a long time and when it first came out even the vet I used didn't recommend it.

Guest Gretchen

Thanks everyone. I was unsure just wanted some grey owner opinions, as I will still ask what my vets thoughts are. I'm leaning towards the...they don't need another vaccination, and if it's not recommended for greys then they won't get it.

Guest Energy11

I heard the same. NOT for Greyhounds. Good tick control is the best option.

Guest budsmom

Our vet doesn't recommend it for any dogs... Not just Greyhounds.

Ditto for my vet. He told me that at best it's about 60% effective and that you get much better protection from Frontline than the vaccine. I'm also in a high Lyme area.

Guest Fluffy

I asked my vet about the vaccine at our first visit, since in Badger's first week home I pulled 4 or 5 ticks off him (NY state...oh yes, tick Mecca indeed). She said that there was one older Lyme vaccine that had such bad side effects, etc that it was worse than giving nothing. She also said that there is a newer vaccine that seems more promising, but her practice plans to hold off for about a year to see its long-term effects before recommending it to any of their patients. I was kind of disappointed because I was so hoping to be able to vaccinate Badger and have one less worry plaguing me. Of course, the vet also pointed out that even if he were Lyme-vaccinated, I would still have to worry about RMSF and other tick-borne diseases.

I'm sticking with Frontline for now, but if my vet's practice does start recommending the newer vaccine next year, I will probably give some serious thought to getting it for Badger.

Guest NickelCreeksMom

IMO it's a waste of money, I had two dogs (non-greyhounds) vaccinated when we lived in a wooded area and they both ended up with Lyme Disease.

Guest LindsaySF

I don't give the Lyme vaccine either. It's not guaranteed to work and it's not worth the potential side effects to me. I use Frontline and check regularly for ticks.

We use the same vet Gretchen, some of the vets there do push hard for the Lyme vaccine. I just keep telling them no. :)

My dog has had it three years running. I have no read that recommendation, and my vet HAS a Greyhound!

It is true that the usefulness of the vaccine is questionable, but since I go to Nantucket, a hot bed of Lyme, I give it. Most of my family has had one tick-borne disease or another, and it seemed like a small measure I could take to possible prevent George from getting it.

To the OP, I have family in Lyme! On Joshuatree Hill Road, as well as right in the village!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest kydie

I use it on all 4 of mine, with no issues, and have for years, my old girl had Lymes before I started to give it, and I like everyone did and do practice tick control, the tick didn't get the memo, so she got Lymes, never again, I do all I can to protect against it. JUST ME!