Another Slippery Elm Question - Ok To Give Capsules?

Guest Stripeyfan

Guest Stripeyfan

I posted recently about slippery elm dosages as I want to give it to Kelly to try and help his gut heal (he has suspected IBD, probably caused by worm damage). I got some greyt answers as always, so thankyou. :)

However, when I make up the paste with the powder and water, he won't touch it (although he's totally food-obsessed). It smells pretty strong and he clearly doesn't find it appealing. I mixed it with his food one time and he didn't really want it then, either. And the last thing I want to do is put him off his food as at the moment he can eat chicken and rice, and chicken and rice only.

So I was wondering, is it ok just to give him the capsules whole? I think the correct dose would be about 3 capsules up to 3 times a day, as the dosage is 1/2 capsule of powder per 10 pounds of body weight. He has no problem taking tablets of any kind if they're mixed in with his food – just gobbles everything in his bowl right up without it even touching the sides. They're gel caps with the SE powder inside - nothing else.

And is it ok to give him the SE in with his other tablets (ABs and pred)? I know his meds are hard on the tummy so I'm thinking it might help with this too if he has it with them.

Thanks!

Guest Samantha

whole or powdered won't make any difference, and i would think you can give at the same time as his other meds, it wont do any harm.

Hope you babies feeling better soon x

Edited by Samantha