Syringe Feeding

I have had to give Sutra his sucralfate with a syringe...I've been just putting it between his teeth and squirting a bit at a time so it wets his tongue and he will swallow. Is this how you syringe feed a dog food too, or do you try to get it down their throat? I would think putting it on the tongue and letting them swallow would be the way to go.

It's so odd, I've never had to do this before...I don't think he will eat on his own at all until I get some food into him and we get his system working again.

I think I am going to mix up some mashed potatoes and Ensure and try to syringe feed him that. I've only syringe fed kittens before, and doing that is a bit different than feeding a long-nosed dog. :blush

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Energy11

I'd use a turkey baster or a 10cc syringe, and maybe cut the tip so there is a bit bigger opening. You want to avoid "shooting" the mixture down his throat, as is could go "down the wrong pipe" and be aspirated into the lungs.

Just make sure the mixture is very thin, and I'd say to squeeze it between the gum/teeth area and the inside skin (inside cheek area) of the mouth. Hard to describe, like, between his gums and the inside of the mouth. Do it in SMALL amounts, which will give him time to lap it up and swallow. Be sure he swallows it before adding anymore.

There really IS no science to this, ... whatever works, really. MIGHT want to just try low sodium chicken broth at first, as clear liquids are recommended after a stomach upset, and to avoid strain on the digestive tract.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Dee and The Five

Edited by Energy11

Guest LindsaySF

I pull their lip to the side and put it in their cheek, just like I do with the cats. If he'll lap it up if you place it on his tongue that's fine too. Just don't shoot it down his throat. :) Good luck.

Guest Stripeyfan

What the others said. We had to use a syringe to get fluids into Kelly when he was really sick with his IBD, just stuck it in kind of sideways so nothing went shooting down his throat. He soon got the idea and started lapping. Good luck.

He just had 40ccs of pumpkin mixed with ensure. He is still a bit gassy-he has farted a couple of times. I just hope he keeps the pumpkin down.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

That's the other thing...i am not sure how much to try to get into him at one time. I think we'll just keep it small at first and hopefully he will keep it all down and get his appetite back

Guest Energy11

DEFINITELY SMALL AMOUNTS to start. You can feed small amounts often, but not a lot at once, as you don't want to over-tax his stomach.

How often do you think I should feed him?

Guest TeddysMom

I have used Dyne or Nutrical mixed with some babyfood and pedialite in a syringe and slowly put it in the side of their mouths. Just watch to make sure Sutra is actually swallowing as the liquid goes in. I know how stressful this is especially when you have never done it before. I will be thinking about you and praying for both you and Sutra. If he is not eating anything else, I would try for every hour because of a ghs size you need to get at least 1/2 cup in each time. I wish I could be there to help you.

Edited by TeddysMom