Help Med Savvy People - Looks Like A Sliver Of Glass

Guest BooBooMama

Guest BooBooMama

Hi All,

It was a beautiful weekend and I wanted Houdini to be able to enjoy it. Since she has had some limping issues with her hip I cannot over do it so I drove her to a nearby river trail and we walked the trail. She was in awe of the ducks, geese, seagulls and pelicans.

BUT this morning when she got up she started hopping on three legs. Now her front paw is the issue. I looked closely and can see a very tiny little wound on the pad of one of her toes. If I apply pressure a little blood comes out and she whimpered. The wound is the size of a pin prick and I think there is a little piece of something clear in it so I am guessing it is a tiny shard of glass.

I have an appointment with the vet in about 1 1/2 hours. Until then I am uncertain what to do. I soaked it in warm water for about 10 minutes, washed it with antiseptic wound wash, put some Neosporin on it and put a baby sock on her. I am trying to keep her quiet so she doesn't try to walk on it.

What am I missing?

Sometimes soaking for 15 minutes or more in Epsom Salt will work the object to the surface where it can be easily removed.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Sometimes soaking for 15 minutes or more in Epsom Salt will work the object to the surface where it can be easily removed.

Ditto on the Epsom Salts, and you can dry it off, still use the antibiotic ointment and the sock. Most likely, really irritating her. You can imagine a sliver or glass or whatever in one of your toes! OUCH!

Good Luck with the vet appt. She should be fine.

Ditto on the Epsom Salts, and you can dry it off, still use the antibiotic ointment and the sock. Most likely, really irritating her. You can imagine a sliver or glass or whatever in one of your toes! OUCH!

Good Luck with the vet appt. She should be fine.

Another vote for Epsom Salt. it can really help draw things out

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest 2greygirls

agree with the epsom salt soaks..living downtown I have had my share of glass in paw episodes..if you have very good tweezers..you can gently slide the tweezers over the area..you can feel the glass, it kind of grates, depending on the size of the glass, and type, you may be able to just pull it. If you're not comfortable with that, go to the vet, they have better lighting and magnifiers. I had one bad experience going to the vet for glass removal, one time they didnt' get it all, and I ended up going in myself and digging around later in the day, and pulling a whopper out that somehow they missed, I am thinking the soaking drew it out further, and it was too deep for my vet to see. Some pieces are very small, but very orritating. Good luck!

Guest BooBooMama

UPDATE:

Well we are back from the vet. He could not find anything. He thinks that I might have dislodged it when I soaked her paw. We have it all bandaged up now and she will be on antibiotics for the next 5 days. I have instructions to soak 3x's a day in warm water.

The little devil tried chewing the bandage off as soon as we got home but mean old mama spritzed it with bitter tasting spray- YUCK! She made quite a face.

Guest BooBooMama

AW! Glad the vet didn't find anything! Yep... good old Epsom Salts!

Hugs her for me!

I will! She also got tons of hugs from everyone at the vet's office. She is a little heart thief.

Guest Energy11

AW! Glad the vet didn't find anything! Yep... good old Epsom Salts!

Hugs her for me!

I will! She also got tons of hugs from everyone at the vet's office. She is a little heart thief.

She sounds WONDERFUL, Gigi! Glad you have her! colgate.gif