Dental Needed

Guest EmilyandSioux

Guest EmilyandSioux

I need to get a dental done on Sioux but I can't leave him at the vet. He gets so upset and won't let them work on him. He changes into a freak and wants to be mean and won't let them in his cage. I have been a tech for 20 years and I guess I am going to have to scrape them myself at home. I will not leave him like that. I trust the vet but he doesn't and that is what counts. I can't find anyone in Houston to do a dental while I wait of while he is awake.I can't believe this.

Guest EmilyandSioux

NO they won't even let me back there until we get him sedated. This is the vet that stapled his nose back together after he ran thru a hog wire fence. That was without lidocaine!!!! This is not that difficult to do. We are looking into just buying me a dental machine to do them myself with. I can get the tarter off with him laying in bed. As long as We handle him he is fine. He doesn't like being seperated from us.

Guest Energy11

Luckily, when I worked at my vet in Florida, I was obviously able to stay with mine for any procedures. My vet here knows this is what I do, or she doesn't!

I have scraped some of the tarter off mine's teeth, but could never do a dental. They didn't teach us that in Paramedic school! lol.gif

Good Luck, and I hope it all works out!

Guest EmilyandSioux

Yeah when I was in a clinic I just did it all myself. I even went to school to do this. That is the bad part, we worked with a lot of breeders and things when I was in a clinic and not the ec. When I was in the ec we let noone in the back because if we had to run a code or something they were in the way. Thank God for the lock on the door. I used it frequently. We were only open after hours too so that helped not having regular clients. I love these guys and they will atleast get a good scaling by hand. Hand cramps just thinking of it. If you are a paramedic you can do a dental no problem. I have a daughter that is a paramedic and I get her to do a lot of things most people would never dream of on her dogs.

NO they won't even let me back there until we get him sedated.

Where do you live? Different vet, maybe?

What we did with Zema, who was actually a good patient but so terrified her temp would skyrocket, was to take her in first thing, they'd take her straight back and put her under, no waiting around in a cage. If I'd wanted I could've gone back with her as soon as she started coming around, but at that point she was OK.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.