Oregano Oil For Tooth And Gum Infections

Guest BooBooMama

Guest BooBooMama

Poor Houdini has terrible teeth. She will probably have to have some removed. Her gums are infected, blood red and swollen but we must wait for two more weeks before we can have her spayed and take care of her dental. The vet gave me some antibiotics but I am not to administer them until three days before surgery. I have always used oregano oil diluted in olive oil for my own gum infections while waiting to get in to the dentist. Is it safe for me to use on her?

Guest Energy11

Poor Houdini! Yep... a lot of times, they come with VERY bad teeth!

WE LOVE Petzlife Gel and Spray! I use BOTH, and have seen a REMARKABLE difference in my Five's teeth! You wouldn't believe it!

I agree with the antibiotics, and do see why you'd like to get a "jump start" on them. Here is where to get the Petzlife ...

Good Luck! http://www.petzlife.com/retailers.htm

OR, I get mine through Amazon.com!

Guest BooBooMama

WE LOVE Petzlife Gel and Spray! I use BOTH, and have seen a REMARKABLE difference in my Five's teeth! You wouldn't believe it!

I agree with the antibiotics, and do see why you'd like to get a "jump start" on them. Here is where to get the Petzlife ...

Thanks. I agree I already use PetzLife and love it but she is far beyond what it can do for her. I already fed her raw bones so a lot of the tartar is coming off the teeth but the gums look terrible. I was wondering if there is a homeopathic substitute for antibiotics that is safe to rub on her gums. Oregano oil works for humans but I am uncertain if it is safe for greyhounds.

Guest Energy11

Thanks. I agree I already use PetzLife and love it but she is far beyond what it can do for her. I already fed her raw bones so a lot of the tartar is coming off the teeth but the gums look terrible. I was wondering if there is a homeopathic substitute for antibiotics that is safe to rub on her gums. Oregano oil works for humans but I am uncertain if it is safe for greyhounds.

Other than brushing, using the Petzlife, and maybe Chlorhexadine rinse, I, personally, don't know of another thing. When we got our Max, he was 11.5, and had NOT had ANY dental attention. I used Petzlife on him, and believe it or not, the GREEN tarter came off!

I know what you are saying about her gums, though. Maybe someone else here has ideas???

Good Luck!

Guest SusanP

Personally, I wouldn't mess with it, since she'll have the antibiotics and dental soon enough. I doubt it would do much to help, and I don't know how safe it would be.

Guest iconsmum

Re PetzLife - I bought the gel and have been using it for a week on 3 dogs but I have no info as to how much to use or how often - could anyone advise?

Guest BooBooMama

Re PetzLife - I bought the gel and have been using it for a week on 3 dogs but I have no info as to how much to use or how often - could anyone advise?

You can use a soft tooth brush and brush it on or just put some on your fingers and rub it over their teeth. Use the same amount as you would tooth paste. For the first week or two use it twice a day to loosen up the existing tartar. After that once a day 3 times a week.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with it, since she'll have the antibiotics and dental soon enough. I doubt it would do much to help, and I don't know how safe it would be.

I am thinking that you are right. It just worries me that her gums are so infected.

Guest greybookends

There is a woman in CA. I forget her name, who does non anesthetic dentals. She is amazing and does wonderful work. She travels all over the country to do the dentals. She uses and recommends the oregano oil. She will show you how you can keep up with your dogs teeth and follow up on her work. She says the taste helps the hound to let you do your work. So yes it is safe for GHs.

Guest BooBooMama

There is a woman in CA. I forget her name, who does non anesthetic dentals. She is amazing and does wonderful work. She travels all over the country to do the dentals. She uses and recommends the oregano oil. She will show you how you can keep up with your dogs teeth and follow up on her work. She says the taste helps the hound to let you do your work. So yes it is safe for GHs.

I wish we had a holistic veterinary dentist here. We have a dental clinic about 30 miles from me but they use anesthesia and are more expensive than my own dental clinic! I am better off waiting for my vet to do it when she is spayed.

Guest Energy11

I wish we had a holistic veterinary dentist here. We have a dental clinic about 30 miles from me but they use anesthesia and are more expensive than my own dental clinic! I am better off waiting for my vet to do it when she is spayed.

I agree. You really don't want to put her under anesthesia more than she has to be, and when I worked at my vet in Florida, we usually did the dentals if we were spaying or neutering. She's had these horrible teeth this long, so I think a week or two more won't hurt. You are already using the Petzlife, which will lreally help keep the germs and bacteria down. Some people use hydrogen peroxide on a cosmetic puff to wipe the gums down as well.

Guest BooBooMama

I agree. You really don't want to put her under anesthesia more than she has to be, and when I worked at my vet in Florida, we usually did the dentals if we were spaying or neutering. She's had these horrible teeth this long, so I think a week or two more won't hurt. You are already using the Petzlife, which will lreally help keep the germs and bacteria down. Some people use hydrogen peroxide on a cosmetic puff to wipe the gums down as well.

Thanks Dee. I am just worried about all that infection in her system but I guess we will wait. I can't wait to see how she will be after all this medical stuff is over. She is a very mellow little girl right now. She might turn out to be a little firecracker after she heals!

Guest Energy11

Thanks Dee. I am just worried about all that infection in her system but I guess we will wait. I can't wait to see how she will be after all this medical stuff is over. She is a very mellow little girl right now. She might turn out to be a little firecracker after she heals!

She JUST MIGHT be a real firecracker! :-))) When we foster a broodie named Spring Bud, HER teeth were soooo bad, that there was HAIR stuck inbetween them! YIKES! After her spay and dental, they were fine, and she is a happy little girl living in the Greater Chicago area, and just turned 10 :-))

Guest kydie

Poor pup :( Yes I have had the non-anesthetic dental done on my boy, but 6 months after a dental from the vet, and the oregano oil was one of the things she (non anesthetic dental tech) did talk about. I sure understand your concern, when my boy came his teeth were so bad he could lie across the room and exhale and you could smell this rotten breath, (and he has crate teeth) so much for a dental he was suppost to have before adoption! :blink: And in all the dogs i have had I never had teeth issues, they all died with perfect teeth :blink: There is a new product, in this month's Dog World by Sentery called Petrodex paste, can't find info on it to purchase it, sounds interesting,.Hugs to your pup :)

Guest JarBear

I use Petzlife Gel and hydrogen peroxide on my boy who had nasty teeth and gums and can't have a dental for medical reasons. It is working great. His gums aren't red and the tarter is disappearing. We can stand to have him breathe on us now which is a real plus since he's a lover boy. smile.gif