Books For A New Dog Owner

Guest gecko_foot

Guest gecko_foot

My brother just adopted a 6 yr old female Weimariner, and it's the first time he has adopted an adult dog. He already has a 5 yr old male Weimariner, but he got the male as a puppy. Does anyone have any suggestions for good training (reference) books? I'm sure something similar has been asked before, but I want to get a consolidated list.

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of behavior books as a foundation to learning training. Patricia McConnell is one of my favorites for that. (I think too many people don't understand how their pets think or why they do things, so it's good to learn that stuff. You build a better bond with your dog when you understand him, and when you have a better bond the dog is more likely to respond to training to make you happy.)

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Another vote for Patricia McConnell! We bought "Family Friendly Dog Training" --- it's a 6 week training guide. So far, so good (well, except for that darned sit).

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest GreyFan09

As stated above, Patricia McConnell is excellent. I've read several of her books, but her "For the Love of a Dog" is my favorite!

Guest NeverSayNever

My brother just adopted a 6 yr old female Weimariner, and it's the first time he has adopted an adult dog. He already has a 5 yr old male Weimariner, but he got the male as a puppy. Does anyone have any suggestions for good training (reference) books? I'm sure something similar has been asked before, but I want to get a consolidated list.

I'm a Patricia McConnell fan too, but might not be what he is looking for if he wants more of a training book. Just to add something to the list... I recently read a puppy book by Ian Dunbar. I thought it was excellent info about housetraining, alone training, impulse training, and socializing... if he has any adult dog books or adopting a shelter dog book.... I think your brother would be in good hands.

If he's looking for a general training book, one that helps teach a dog manners, I like Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson.

For more in depth, behavior related things, I love Patricia McConnell's The Other End of the Leash.

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Of my extensive dog library, my favorites include

Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Prior

Bones Would Rain from the Sky

The Other End of the Leash

These aren't necessarily training books per se, but when you understand how dogs communicate it's much easier to teach them acceptable (to you) behaviors. :)

Click to Calm is a great training book for dogs who might have behavioral issues. It's a good book I think for pet owners in general. :)

Guest gecko_foot

Thank you all for your help! This isn't my brother's first dog by any means, but it's the first adult dog that he's adopted. He's asking me a lot of the general new owner questions, and I wanted him to have access to a good reference.

You guys rock! :)