Crying After Running

Guest jack

Guest jack

my 3 year old Zissou cries after running hard. she plays very enthusiastically and will run laps around the yard. but if she runs too hard she stops in place, shakes, and cries. has anyone experienced anything like this? the vet can't find any problems with her. i just try to keep her from getting too worked up for now. but any ideas would be helpful. thanks.

Guest JudiK

That is tough! 3 years old and she shakes and cries?? Obviously she hurts... I think I would start with suspecting arthritis - folks on here swear by Dasuquin... I got some from my vet and it seems to work for us. Of course, it could be something completely different. Has she been tested for Lyme disease?

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

She might be cramping up.

If she enjoys bananas you might add a half one to her food daily.

Guest MyBoys

I agree with the cramping, does she then seem okay after she stops. One of my bridge boys use to run hard and then cramp up, it seemed to happen more in the hot weather. He would cry like he was in total pain, then the next minute he was fine. He only liked banana's if they were frozen, go figure, so I would give him a frozen banana about every other day which seemed to help.

Edited by MyBoys

Might also try to keep her from overdoing. Sometimes helps to do some interactive play or a medium-sized walk before letting her out to run so she doesn't go crazy and go all out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jack

She might be cramping up.

If she enjoys bananas you might add a half one to her food daily.

just an update. zissou has been on 1/2 banana for a few days now and she is finally able to run til she wants to stop instead of me cutting her off. now i have a happy tired dog. thanks for the tip.

Guest FullMetalFrank

If they don't like bananas, you can offer a tablespoon or two of blackstrap molasses; it has almost 300 mg of potassium per tbsp. It's what I give Chelsa after a hard run.