Older Greys

Two of our Greys are 12 now and lately they sometimes wont eat breakfast or sometimes dinner , there not loosing weight that you can see , they havent run in the yard for a few years now , I think there like people when we get old we eat less becuase all we do is sit around and watch TV , we dont work so we dont need as much food , what do you think.

Guest sheila

Makes sense to me. If you don't expend any energy you really don't need to eat as much.

Having said that it's always good for anyone of any age to have some physical activity rather than sit around and watch TV. Just because one doesn't work doesn't mean one shouldn't play. My Grandmother was well into her 80's and still swam a mile 3x a week at the Y. When she was no longer to do that she still walked daily, even when it got to the point at age 90 when she needed a walker. As far as I know the woman never had cable television and while she had a TV in her house I can't recall if I ever saw her watching it.

Guest Energy11

Our Staggerlee isn't really interested in long walks, and he doesn't run much anymore. He will be ten in August. He does have bad corns on both back feet, but I do see major signs of arthritis with him, too. He is not overweight, although, I watch the weight of all of mine, ... and he is a happy boy, so I let him "do this thing!"

MY BOYS and Goldie, never, ever, never, ... turn down their food! I mean, they wake us by 4 a.m. to eat! Cari?? Ah... well, she is Cari! She is a Prima Donna! ... she eats when she wants!

I have heard a lot of seniors just eat when/what they want. I wouldn't be too concerned, but maybe senior bloodwork would be in order?

Love, Hugs, and good Luck!

Guest MyBoys

I totally agree, my senior guy sometimes will skip his breakfast and eat his dinner or visa versa, he is at a good weight but has lost muscle mass so he looks thinner, his back legs are getting weaker but he still enjoys his daily walks, just at a slower pace now. He sleeps most of the day but still enjoys laying in the cool grass if it's not to hot out. He still enjoys car rides but has to be lifted in my SUV, I think that these things just come with age and our seniors just need us to be patient and understand their needs at this point in their lives, I don't worry about him right now, age is what it is and there is no way to stop the aging process. I just let him enjoy being a senior and spending quality time with him.

Guest jeannejj

My Mandy girl is 14+, and is very picky now about eating. And, she needs to eat....losing muscle mass and getting thin......Vet says as they get older they lose some of the sense of smell. This is very important in getting them to eat. I give her several small meals, and I cook some good meat and add it, or give her something very smelly, like Jack Mackeral or sardines. She happens to love pasta and tomato sauce of any kind. She loves baby food (the meats) and I supplement her meals with that, too. The little diva gets lots of special treats. :blush

Guest 2greygirls

My old ladies were picky picky eaters.... they ate like birds.

I think that that is pretty normal for older dogs, but I would also check out their teeth, make sure there's nothing going on in their mouths

Guest sorenkkg

Glad you brought this up-- not sure if it's b/c Aleeya is going through some medical stuff now, or b/c she's 10, or b/c it's Spring and both my boy and girl get weird food habits in spring and fall.

I mentioned this to my group, and they said they field 12-15 calls a day of "my grey isn't eating" this time of year.

Also, she said that ya, as they get older, their food tastes change. Could be teeth, but generally, they go for softer foods regardless.

I'm sure this doesn't apply to all greys everywhere, and I'm just happy they are 10 and relatively healthy rolleyes.gif so, I'll roll with it.

oh, and activity? Given the chance, my 10yr olds keep up with greys less than half their age, AND rule the pack at the grey playdate cool.gif They just take a loooooong nap on the way home :)