Zeke & His Foot Injury - Any Thoughts Please

Zeke is our "Corn Dog" and for the first time in months was finally corn free. He was running and chasing Callie around the yard, going for walks without the Thera-boot, doing terrific. Latest corn was on his rear right leg.

Two weeks ago tomorrow (Weds.) I heard him whining and crying in the morning and found him hopping on three legs favoring his "good" leg leg. He couldn't put any pressure on it and was in great pain. The vet's examination showed he had slammed into something near the knee and had soft tissue damage. Anti-inflammatory meds & Tramadol for pain and he would be fine in a week. He would only be leash walked in the yard and kept as quiet as possible.

Next day, (Thursday), he is coming back into the house, on leash, and as I was bending to help him up the one step in the back door, he decided to hop up, lost his footing and whacked the foot on the injured leg into the metal edging of the door. No apparent cut or injury to the foot but two hours later his toes and ankle were swollen beyond recognition. I put cold compresses on him (which helped the swelling) until I could get to the vet where they said he had edema and wrapped his leg in a pressure bandage. She examined him the next day and the edema swelling had gone down nicely.

What we have now is one swollen toe where much of the fluid leaked out in what looked like a giant blister. The skin has healed without infection, the vet checked his toe again last Friday, and he doesn't seem to have any indication of fracture or dislocation. However, the toe is still a bit swollen next to the pad and he prefers to only walk when necessary.

I wondered if anyone has dealt with this type of injury and if it takes a while for the tenderness and swelling to go completely away to a comfortable level. This poor boy just can't seem to catch a break with his feet.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest MyBoys

Oh that poor boy, maybe you could try to cushion the toe to help relieve the pain when he walks until all the swelling goes down. It is hard to picture just where the problem is, could you post a picture?????????

Oh that poor boy, maybe you could try to cushion the toe to help relieve the pain when he walks until all the swelling goes down. It is hard to picture just where the problem is, could you post a picture?????????

I'll try to get a photo. Zeke is very clever and every time I try to snap a photo of his foot, he tucks it under. Good idea about cushioning that toe - I'll put his thera-paw boot on when he gets up to walk around. I have given him some Tramadol and he looks a little more comfortable. He probably just needs more healing time. I feel so bad that he's had so much trouble with his feet and just want him to be his usual bouncy self again.

Thanks for the good suggestion.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy