Jump to content

Is Honeysuckle Poisonous?


Guest junebug
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest junebug

I just found JuneBug munching on some honeysuckle in the backyard (branches with leaves and flowers).. Does anyone know if honeysuckle is dangerous to greyhounds?

 

Thanks,

 

Sally

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Energy11

http://www.peteducat...7+1684&aid=1553

 

Unfortunately, yes, Honeysuckle IS poisonous to dogs! See link. I'd call your E vet and see what they want you do to ... induce vomiting, OR bring June Bug in.

 

Sorry you and your June Bug have to go through this! Good Luck!

Edited by Energy11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Energy11

Here is the number for the ASPCA Poison Control. MIGHT be worth contacting them first! Good Luck

Animal Poison Control Center

We are your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest junebug

I called my vet, and then and OSU Veterinary hospital. They researched it for me and said she should be o.k., with possible vomiting. So far she is completely normal. We will take her in to OSU if her condition changes. She ingested a small amount of leaves and flowers, and no berries (which seem to be a greater threat and occur later in the season).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These guys list berries as the toxic part and only in large quantities BUT this is toxicity to people: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Lonicja.htm

 

I really like the database linked above because it tells you a little more about which part is toxic, mode of toxicity, how toxic, etc.

 

Glad your pupper is OK.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest junebug

Thanks, Batmom and Energy11, for the resources. I had found all kinds of information on line, pertaining to pets, farm animals, people, and often no information other than "poisonous."

 

It is such a benefit to be close to OSU. They are a wonderful source of information. We have a 24 hour MedVet, but OSU is also open 24 hours for emergencies.

 

Thanks to everyone for you support and good wishes for JuneBug. It means so much to me!!

 

Here is some information I found on line that sounded rather ominous!

 

 

www.ehow.com/facts_5777027_honeysuckle-plants-poisonous-dogs_.htm[

 

 

Toxic qualities negate the charm of these beautiful plants for pet owners.

Honeysuckle is listed on nearly every list of plants that is toxic to pets. This alone is enough to deter most dog owners from allowing their pet to chow down on the plant. In some cases, it can be helpful to know exactly the reason honeysuckle is considered toxic.

 

Identification

Honeysuckle exists in many varieties. Most are toxic to humans, although a few have edible berries or nectar. They are all, without exception, considered toxic to dogs.

Types

Two types of toxins specific to the honeysuckle family make this plant unsuitable for canine consumption: saponic glycosides and cyanogenic glycosides.

Saponic Glycosides

Saponic glycosides, when mixed with water, create a permanent frothing effect. They can cause not only stomach upset or rupture but also the rupture of blood cells, leading to inadequate oxygen supply throughout the body.

Cyanogenic glycosides

Cyanogenic glycosides are turned into the chemical hydrogen cyanide, a powerful poison, when ingested.

Treatment

Emergency veterinary care should be sought immediately. Ingestion of vomit is not recommended.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...