In Heat

Guest Samantha

Guest Samantha

Hi

Im new to the forum, wasnt sure where to post :)

I grew up around greyhounds as my Mum & Dad bred and raced them for over 35 years , we've had many as pets when i was a little girl and me and my brother have lots of fond memories of days spent with our greys.

Unfortunately due to both my parents being now ill they don't have any. So now i have my own 9yr old son i decided to adopt one so that he could get the enjoyment i did out of owning such loving creatures. My Dad got in touch with a old friend of his and about 9 days ago we recieved our beautiful girl Maddison, she's a black girl with white socks :). She settled in very well and on her 1st night i found her and my son behind the sofa curled up asleep and it was then i knew i had a very special girl.

Unfortunately..Maddison wasn't spayed and we had her booked in for this Thursday...only for her season to start on Monday!!

Ive never had a girl in heat at home before i was wondering if anyone had any tips for me? apart from the obvious keeping, her away from Romeos lol

She's been quite anxious and jumpy, yet also wanting lots of attention. Anyone else ever been in this position?

Great forum :)

Guest Swifthounds

Get her some panties (Simple solution makes good ones) and some liners (to save your carpets, bedding, etc.).

On average, dogs are in heat for around 21 days but that can vary quite a bit from dog to dog, especially where you're dealing with greyhounds that have been given testosterone (cheque drops, etc.) to suppress estrus. At first there is bleeding with vulvar swelling, and then the bleeding slows or stops for a week or so (the fertile period in the heat cycle, so less mess). Then there is usually a return of bleeding but it's usually less than before and goes on another week or so. Heat cycles can vary quite a bit (from as short as 2 weeks to as long as 6 or so), so if you're rescheduling her spay, I would plan for it to happen a few weeks after the conclusion of her heat cycle.

ETA: We have a breeder or two on GT. I'm sure they'll chime in with their experience.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest fandogs

Hi

I have 2 GHs a female and a male. Neither is fixed.

Right now my Snippet is in heat.. I cover any of the furniture she goes on regularly.. though most of the time she is on her pillow bed. She is a bit whiney rigth now.. (I seem to remember as a younger woman, I too, got a bit whiney once a month).

She sleeps more, and plays less.. but that will be over soon.

The first part of her heat,involves bleeding. Once that stops, she is right in prime time, so be sure to keep other animals away from her when the discharge turns clear.

Other than that, there isn't too much you can do,except wait it out. Heat lasts about 2-3 weeks.. oh.. and she might then have a false pregnancy at about the 2 month mark after her heat.. She'll start collecting toys or stuffies as babies and will resent anyone taking them away from her. That won't last too long.

Personally, I love the sweetness that she exhibits at this time. And she talks SOOOO much.

I did have to take our boy to a farm for R&R.. She wasn't enjoying his advances.

Hope this helps a bit.

Maxine

Guest TeddysMom

Hi

Im new to the forum, wasnt sure where to post :)

I grew up around greyhounds as my Mum & Dad bred and raced them for over 35 years , we've had many as pets when i was a little girl and me and my brother have lots of fond memories of days spent with our greys.

Unfortunately due to both my parents being now ill they don't have any. So now i have my own 9yr old son i decided to adopt one so that he could get the enjoyment i did out of owning such loving creatures. My Dad got in touch with a old friend of his and about 9 days ago we recieved our beautiful girl Maddison, she's a black girl with white socks :). She settled in very well and on her 1st night i found her and my son behind the sofa curled up asleep and it was then i knew i had a very special girl.

Unfortunately..Maddison wasn't spayed and we had her booked in for this Thursday...only for her season to start on Monday!!

Ive never had a girl in heat at home before i was wondering if anyone had any tips for me? apart from the obvious keeping, her away from Romeos lol

She's been quite anxious and jumpy, yet also wanting lots of attention. Anyone else ever been in this position?

Great forum :)

I adopted Mandy from her owner a few weeks ago. She is 7 years old not spayed and came into heat after 2 days at home. I have lots of dogs and thankfully all are fixed. I still kept her crated because a couple of the males still bothered her. As long as you have no other dogs, you shouldn't have any problems except for the dripping. I didn't see any real change in Mandy's personality so it might just be that Maddison is just still trying to adjust to her new environment. Congratulations on your new addition. Sounds like she is a sweetie.

We use methyltestosterone in the kennels to prevent them coming into heat. Cheque drops are Mibolerone and have more side effects. There may be someone out there using them, but nobody I know. If you can get her into the vet tomorrow, it's probably not to late to start her on a course of Ovaban, they take it for 8 days and will shorten the cycle and prevent them coming into milk. If she cam in on Monday, thursday would be the latest you can start her on it.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Guest Samantha

Thanks for your replies.

I will have to get some doggy panties i think as the blood seems alittle heavier today. I feel so sorry for her, i know what i'm like after 5 days never mind 21!

I will talk to my vet tomorrow and ask about that med that can shorten the cycle, how soon after heat could i have her spayed? is there a set time period?

PICT0022.jpg

I hope this picture works! I'm not very technical lol :blink:

Guest Samantha

Some females want to mark when they are in season. So watch for that!

Ive kept her inside and only allowed her in my back garden which is big enough for her to have a run about in, although all she seems to want to do is lie on the grass!!. Today i noticed her running round the garden and every so often stopping and doing a small dribble in a different spot every time, she done this about 6 -7 time in a 40min period, is this what you mean?

Guest sriddle13

Make sure someone is with her outside at all times until the heat is over. Males can smell a female in heat from a long distance and will find her. And dogs can breed through fences etc.

This happened with one of mine. The vet wouldn't spay her for a couple of months after she was in heat due to swelling. Luckily for me, her heat didn't last too long.