What's In Your First Aid Kit?

After Molly's first scrape (pretty minor and it happened at the vet) --- I was thinking it would be a good idea to put together a First Aid Kit for her. In looking online at ready made kits, it seems like there's a lot of stuff in them I may never need or use.

We already printed out contact info for our vet and all the surrounding emergency vets. I figured in an emergency, that would be one thing I'd hate to waste time on!

Since you all have probably seen and experienced nearly everything - what items do you always have on hand for greyhound first aid?

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Boots!! Bu cuts up his feet often (minor cuts and scrapes) so I usually just slide the boots on to keep blood from getting everywhere. Saline spray and first aid spray, bandage wrap, gauze, antibiotic ointment, hydrogen peroxide, metacam, and ottomax. I keep most of that in a bag in my car because I take him almost everywhere with me. As time goes on you'll find products you prefer. I keep things pretty basic.

Guest widowcali

I did a talk on this type of thing at the Solvang Greyhound festival.

A couple of things that I have on hand, at all times, is neosporin, vet wrap, Betadine, clean rags, and a muzzle. If you were trying to get to the bare minimum of stuff, you definately want those things in there. And as the momma of a very accident prone greyhound, and an IW mix who seems to consider pushing her luck an Olympic Sport :lol , I have actually used every item in my two pre-made kits, and refilled them a few times.

If you want some of the stuff that I handed out on my talk, pm me with your email address and I can attach them to an email.

Guest scfilby

Gauze pads

Gauze rolls

Vet wrap 2 and 4 inch

Super Glue

Burn cream

Triple antibiotic ointment

Antibiotic spray

Iodine

Hydrogen Peroxide

Toddler socks with grippy soles

Scissors

Medical tape

Tweezers

Alcohol swabs

Tensor Bandage

After Bite

Benadryl

I have all these items in a carry case. In an emergency I can grab the whole case and have everything needed. It COULD travel but we don't usually bring it.

Guest TeddysMom

Gauze pads

Gauze rolls

Vet wrap 2 and 4 inch

Super Glue

Burn cream

Triple antibiotic ointment

Antibiotic spray

Iodine

Hydrogen Peroxide

Toddler socks with grippy soles

Scissors

Medical tape

Tweezers

Alcohol swabs

Tensor Bandage

After Bite

Benadryl

I have all these items in a carry case. In an emergency I can grab the whole case and have everything needed. It COULD travel but we don't usually bring it.

All the above plus I keep eye ointment, Lactated ringers and a port kit in case of dehydration, surgical gloves, a bag of sterile rags and a couple of clean towels. I have everything in a plastic box that I keep in the hall closet.

Guest Energy11

FIRST AID KIT MUST-HAVES:

Bandaids of ALL sizes. Antibacterial ointment or Trypzyme-V for wound coverage. Toddler Socks and booties. I recommend toddler shoe size 3-8.5 for the socks , and booties from The Voyagers (high ones). Transpore tape. Stretch gauze (Kling) to wrap wounds or vet wrap. Benedryl (generic is fine) 25mg... give (2) of these, every four hours, if you know your dog has been bitten by an insect, or you know for sure he or she is allergic to an ingested food. Deramaxx 75mg, (*my choice) for pain and inflammation. You CAN use one BUFFERED 81 mg aspirin for pain, but not for extended use. Amodium AD (generic is fine) (1) tablet two times a day for diarrhea. Pepcid AC, 20 mg, (generic fine) (1) tablet a day, or ½ twice a day for gas and stomach irritation. Small bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide to induce vomiting. (2) tablespoons until vomiting occurs. (For seizure dogs) A syringe of pre-loaded Valium for trans-rectal use during a prolonged seizure.