Contemplating Adding A 2Nd Hound

Guest SuperiorItaly

Guest SuperiorItaly

Since Thursday night, we've been dogsitting another hound. She could not be any sweeter and is just perfect. While they don't play together really, Italy doesn't have any problem with it and the new one kind of follows Italy around. My girlfriend and I have both talked about how much we love having 2 around. Everything from coming home and seeing 2 priceless little faces come up to greet you to just watching them sleep. Walking 2 at once isn't that bad at all. We've been talking about adding another one but this weekend might have gotten us closer. I just don't know yet. And I wouldn't unless I was sure, but I do know that I WANT to, but I'm also trying to think practically. Would they both fit in the back of my sedan? I've never boarded Italy because I would never want her to go back to where we first got her, even though the Pooch Motel in Chicago seems very nice. But would it be easier to board both of them since they would be together? It would be hard to take them home to my folks for Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. I have 7 nieces and nephews below 6-yrs old and I don't know if I could add to a stressful holiday household with another dog running around.

Taffy, the other dog, is being picked up this afternoon. Our plan is to see how Italy reacts. If she appears down and sad that Taffy is gone, we might think about adding one.

Any thoughts?

Guest TheUnrulyHound

The more the merrier ;) I thing Italy would love it for sure :nod I can't even remember what it was like to just have 1.... or 2 :eek

Guest BooBooMama

You have a good plan. See how Italy reacts. Just an FYI- my family Holidays have included five Golden Retrievers and two greyhounds as well as five kids under the age of 10. Somehow we have managed. But that is MY life you need to think of how this will impact you and how your family will feel about it. I would have 2 again in a heartbeat if I could! I think they keep each other company.

It's in particular the issues of long-distance car travel and especially dog care when I'm away that stand as the largest impediments to me thinking seriously of another. (And how much I like to do with my one -- I think I'd tend to do fewer activities with two, especially with being only one person).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Just giving you a kick over the edge ----> get another one, work out the details later. smile.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest LindsaySF

Those details can all be worked out. :) If you have the time and finances for a second hound, I say go for it!

As for boarding/sitting, can the person whose hound you are pet-sitting watch your hound(s) if you go away? Do you know anyone in your adoption group you can trade sitting services with? There is also a Greyhound Sitters thread pinned in EEG here on GT.

I get 4 hounds in my tiny car.... It depends on their personalities and how well they travel in the car.

Good luck.

Guest SuperiorItaly

The temporary dog is gone and Italy promptly peed on her bed outside on the deck. She hasn't had an accident in here in 4-5 months. I wonder if this is her protest.