Malignant Hyperthermia/css Not Related To Anesthesia Or Delayed?

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

I posted about this in my thread about Wizard's possible IBD and prednisone, but since it is going in a different direction, I wanted to ask about it in a new thread. I found an article about dogs genetically predisposed to CSS developing symptoms due to stress other than anesthesia. Anyone know anything about this or experience this with their dogs? I'm thinking the symptoms sound like Wizard's spells of muscle cramping--full body and head/jaw. I don't know if his illness, meds or whatever might have lead to CSS, but I am consulting the vet about it. Does this sound off base? Ideas, please!

http://www.labbies.com/css.htm

I know greyhounds are known for a high incidence of malignant hyperthermia, but I thought it was only anesthesia-related.

Guest fandogs

Hello Susan,

I don't know much about malignant hypothermia.. but I do know that a pup of ours died from it.

She and her brother, born and raised in PA, were sold and sent to FL to train and race.

At first they were only doing short sprints so they could build up their endurance and stamina to run the full track.

Well it seems that at some point during their initial training, she was sprinting, & when she completed the course, they noticed that she was showing all kinds of heat exhaustion problems. They tried soaking her, icing her, fans were brought in to blow over her.. the meds she might have been able to take to stablize her body temp or bring it back to normal, were not available. Malignant hypothermia is the inability of the body to regulate body temp

She died very shortly there after, at the track.

Her condition was not found in any of the litter. (There were 8 in the litter) She was the only pup to suffer from that.

Never showed any signs of it, while a pup on the farm.. she ran with the rest of her litter mates all the time.

She was a little shy. Might have had some stress problems being around strangers, and in a new surrounding at the track.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Maxine

Malignant hyperthermia is considered a medical emergency. What I find really strange is that the medication that is used to help reverse malignant hyperthermia, Dantrolene, is not kept on hand in most vet offices.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest SusanP

Vet says in greyhounds, she believes this happens only during surgery. In any case, Wizard had no spasms yesterday, so it may be a moot point. I guess I was just grasping at straws.