Foster And Cats

Guest firsttimer

Guest firsttimer

After having 2 greyhounds as pets with my 2 cats I offered to foster a hound straight off the track who was "cat safe".

First contact was fine although there was a lunge when 1 cat jumped from the couch cushion to the couch back. The foster has never been around the cats unless muzzled and on a leash. The problem is that I let my guard down 2 days ago and we had a brief chasing episode. Now my cats are terrified and run whenever they see the foster and that has only served to make him more interested. I'm currently keeping everyone separated by my poor cats are lonely and miserable. I have a call in to my adoption group but I'm looking for some feedback. Now what?

Guest BlackandBrindle

Just to interject, just because he tested cat safe at the track does not mean he's actually cat safe.

Keep everyone separated for now. Try and be calm. It's ok to try again, but I'd definitely keep him muzzled around the cats until you're sure it's safe...

Hang in there, it'll be ok!

I agree w/BlackandBrindle. I also have 2 greys w/2 cats, both of my greys lived in foster homes 1st w/cats and when brought here neither reacted to the cats I have. Coming straight from the track, it is all new to your foster, especially seeing them jump/run. I would defintely muzzle and leash for any further introductions. I brought another one who was "cat safe" and had lived w/a cat and he stalked them and would not lose his gaze, they were petrified of him. I would watch his body language as well and his gaze, can he be distracted away and called off? Hope it all works out :)

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest DoofBert

I agree with previous posters... just because they tested 'cat tolerant' (notice I intentionally do not use the word 'safe') at the track or even in another home/with a group....doesn't mean they will be.with your pack/cats. Yes, you can try again with muzzle and leash for quick corrections.

However, I don't want to alarm you, but it might not be case of cat tolerance, it could also be a case of wantign to be the alpha of the house over all pets. We had a foster (a beautiful black hound) who tested cat tolerant and in fact did not even look at our male cats. She had it in for our alpha queen cat, Lexie. Unfortunately, i did not read the signals and Lexie was attacked. (She did not survive).

I would recommend working with your group to have second, third and more sets of eyes interpretting the signals.

Good luck and don't let your guard down.....

Jayne

Guest firsttimer

I agree with previous posters... just because they tested 'cat tolerant' (notice I intentionally do not use the word 'safe') at the track or even in another home/with a group....doesn't mean they will be.with your pack/cats. Yes, you can try again with muzzle and leash for quick corrections.

However, I don't want to alarm you, but it might not be case of cat tolerance, it could also be a case of wantign to be the alpha of the house over all pets. We had a foster (a beautiful black hound) who tested cat tolerant and in fact did not even look at our male cats. She had it in for our alpha queen cat, Lexie. Unfortunately, i did not read the signals and Lexie was attacked. (She did not survive).

I would recommend working with your group to have second, third and more sets of eyes interpretting the signals.

Good luck and don't let your guard down.....

Jayne