Ear Problems

Guest Gretchen

Guest Gretchen

My 2nd post in this forum about my new grey. 1 week after we brought him home we took him to the vet they had to flush out his ears they were really dirty. Past few days his left ear has build up again and he's shaking his head. Off to the vet we went, so he has an overgrowth of yeast in his left ear. He was started on two ear meds (Clotrimazole solution and Synotic otic solution). He is not thrilled about them at all. I have two questions.

1) Anyone else experience this with their greyhound?

2) Any suggestions on the best way to administer the drops? :unsure

Guest Energy11

I haven't personally, but when I worked at my vet's in Florida, we had to clean out many an ear that was infected. We'd use some ear wash, gently rub it in, use a cotton bud or cosmetic puff(s), to wipe out the "gunk," and then, put in the meds. Best way, just put them in after cleaning the ears, gently fold the ear over, and rub. Generally, their ears itch, so this feels good.

It is a long process to clear up sometimes, but it will be worth it.

Good Luck and hoping your houndie's ears feel better soon!

Guest Cris_M

If the medications can be warmed, your pup will like them a lot better. That cold liquid into the ear canal can be very painful. You can warm the medication by putting it in a jar of hot water for a few minutes -- if your vet says warming won't damage it.

Pull the ear up a bit, put the drops in, and massage so the medication can move down the canal. If your pup shakes his head, let him. Then, go back to massaging. Even if you don't think any medication got in, just do the massage thing. The idea is to get to a point where he is pretty happy to get his drops. Then, he'll stop shaking his head every time and you'll know the meds are going somewhere other than your kitchen cabinets.

Hope that nasty ol' yeast goes away quickly.

Guest Gretchen

I hope the nasty yeast goes away soon too, poor Calvin seems so uncomfortable. After the meds he rubs his head on everything, his bed, the carpet, the walls, couch....etc....

Guest LindsaySF

Clancy gets these sometimes too, and Teagan had a nasty yeast ear infection 2 years ago. I clean the ears thoroughly before putting in the prescription drops. I use a gentle (no alcohol) dog ear cleaning solution, fill the whole ear canal with liquid, fold the ear over and squish squish, and then let the dog shake their head as much as they want, the shaking loosens the debris. Use cotton balls to wipe out any debris. Once the ear is clean then I put the prescription drops in. If the ears tend to be too moist, once the Rx is over you can try some ear powder they sell at the pet store. I use it on Clancy and it helps. If Calvin keeps getting ear infections he might have a food allergy/sensitivity and you might look into changing his food. Good luck!

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF