Dental Treats And Care

Guest Gideon

Guest Gideon

I have to get Duke into the vet as soon as I can. I know he's going to have teeth pulled - they are in really bad shape. We've had him near 7 years (he's 12 now) and have scraped his teeth as often as we could but it's not good now. Just haven't wanted to put him through the procedure.

Tanks teeth are getting plaqued up too. His teeth are in much better shape.

So, what kind of dental treat or chews can I use to really maintain their teeth? I tried greenies years ago. The didn't do much. I tried frozen turkey necks which were great but then they started throwing up yellowish bile and bones. Also, the calcium made it hard for them to poop - very dry, crumbly with some bone in it.

So, any advice?

Guest Energy11

I use:

Soup bones from the butcher/grocery store. A lot of places call them marrow bones. NEVER cook. Just freeze and give.

Also Elk antlers: Website: http://elkusa.com/buck_chaws.htm

And, Snooks Sweet potato chews (*they look like soup bones), and provide a good chew: http://www.shop.snookdog.com/category.sc;jsessionid=615E3EC3AA8E671D707AAA4FECE97F96.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=2

Good Luck!

I use Science Diet dental food as a treat (ideally one after every meal if I remember). My vet wanted me to feed it all the time, but I think it's crap so this is my compromise. I don't really know if it helps though.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Cris_M

Perhaps frozen turkey necks could be revisited. The yellow vomit is from bile. Vomiting bile tends to come when a dog is hungry. In this case, your dogs may not be digesting the neck well enough. If you feed normally before or after (like a couple of hours), that should solve the problem.

As their systems get better at digesting raw food, the bones will get digested.

For the constipation, you can give a bit of raw liver. However, feeding normally close to turkey-neck-time may take care of the constipation.

For my pups, it's hard to beat frozen turkey necks -- especially in summer in the South!

Hope the whole tooth thing ends up being easier than you think.

Guest Energy11

Perhaps frozen turkey necks could be revisited. The yellow vomit is from bile. Vomiting bile tends to come when a dog is hungry. In this case, your dogs may not be digesting the neck well enough. If you feed normally before or after (like a couple of hours), that should solve the problem.

As their systems get better at digesting raw food, the bones will get digested.

For the constipation, you can give a bit of raw liver. However, feeding normally close to turkey-neck-time may take care of the constipation.

For my pups, it's hard to beat frozen turkey necks -- especially in summer in the South!

Hope the whole tooth thing ends up being easier than you think.

Bet it is HOTTT today in Rome! Ellijay is RIDICULOUSLY hott!

Anyway, where do you buy these turkey necks? I was thinking of trying them, but I don't feed raw, and I have been a litte "stand-offish," for lack of a better word.

Turkey neck popsicles, huh! :-))