Panting And Nose Dripping

Guest Tokolos

Guest Tokolos

Still new to greyhound ownership, so I'm wondering if the following things are common in these hounds:

1. Panting

Sprinkles will be lying down and start panting, or I'll be petting him for a while and then he'll start panting. Is he hot? It's not hot in the house, but I know they're sensitive to temperatures.

2. Nose Dripping

Sprinkles's nose drips constantly. The vet said this wasn't a big deal, and it isn't, but it's just weird because you have to watch if he's standing over you because you'll get nose drippings every few minutes or so.

Guest Energy11

Yep! Sounds like nerves on both counts. Staggerlee's nose drips a lot though. Just him.

Good luck with the new houndie, and Welcome to Greytalk!

Guest sweetpea

Sweetpea's a dripper, it's nerves.

I bet Sprinkles will settle, just you wait.

At least you know the name fits!

Buzzy

Hounds will pant and their noses will drip when they're stressed. If he's a new guy, he's probably feeling a little stressed by his new surroundings. He'll adjust and the panting and nose dripping will stop.

Hounds are susceptible to heat and cold but normally if you're not feeling warm he probably isn't either, same with the cold.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Houndie

The nose dripping is most likely stress. But, we are having some dripping issues that seem to be allergy related. Everything is budding out, and the wind is blowing 30 MPH here. Lots of pollen blowing around. Just thought I'd throw the allergy possibility out there, if you don't feel your pup is stressed, and is otherwise doing well.

Guest Tokolos

This is great info, and stress is likely the cause. Eventhough we've had Sprinkles for what seems like a while to me (over a month), this is just a drop in the bucket compared to the five years he spent living a completely different life. I have to keep reminding myself that everything's still new to him.

Guest scfilby

Both our hound's noses drip, almost constantly... Mickey is the most relaxed hound you can imagine, so in her case at least, her nose just drips.. no stress..